Wednesday, May 24, 2006


I have been letting Snicks out in the yard on the weekends. I've felt bad relegating her and her ginormous cage to the back yard so I set her up with her little nesting box (which doubles as a cat carrier on Vet days) and a cage with the door propped open so just she can enter. I saw a raccoon in the neighborhood the other day and figured I should do a little more to keep the rabbit from becoming a snack. Wouldn't ya know it, the fat, lazy rabbit doesn't take advantage of her freedom! She just sits and eats and eats and eats. The only exercise she gets is a from hopping away from me when I try to pick her up. She'll stay put if I just pet her; she's even started to shove her head under my hand if I stop scratching her head. It's pretty cute. We could get a few more rabbits and not have to mow the yard. Or fertilize it, either, for that matter. Unfortunately she's not discriminate in her munchings. She took out a really cool plant, a tall stalk that had yet to flower. She also likes the mini rose bush and some other ground cover. I moved my potted vegetables away from her hopping radius so hopefully my tomatoes, peas and cucumbers are safe. Yes, tomatoes, peas and cucumbers; look out Farmer Brown! Snick's is 5 years old this spring! She's got 5-7 mores years of hop left in her. Ryan and I had only been dating a few months when I bought her. When Ryan came to Vancouver we would take her to the park and let her hop around on her lead. Taking a rabbit out in public on a leash is a great way to meet people. Or give strangers a good story to tell their friends, at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me sad given your latest news :(
Nicole