Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Decisions

There are so many decisions to be made while on vacation. Should I go swimming first or take a nap first? Thai restaurant or family seafood restaurant? Which magazine should I read first, Real Simple or Domino?

Our last two vacations were cruises where you could fill your entire day with activities. They were fun but shore excursions were always stressful. The food was expensive because we landed in tourist hotbeds - the excursions were also expensive. It was stressful trying to find a cab that wouldn't charge more than the guide books told us was a reasonable charge. Walking the streets having vendors try to sell you all sorts of trinkets and junk was stressful.

Now, I window shop, I walk into the cute shops and browse. No pressure! I love it. I have my eye on a super cute purse in one shop. If I still am thinking about it by the end of our time here I just may go buy it.

In one shop I found the sunglasses of all sunglasses. Trendy but not a pair that would make my children laugh in 10 years when they saw a picture of me in them (sorry, Mom - those huge 80's glasses are just too funny). But alas, they were slightly crooked. I was tempted to buy them anyway but that would have been silly.

Ryan is doing some work remotely each day to pad his vacation time for his Alaska fishing trip next week so we've been coming to the library where there is free wireless internet. I am computer #3 which has a 30 minute time limit - the downstairs computers have a 60 minute limit.

My brothers, their wives & kids and my mom are joining us for 2 nights beginning tomorrow. I haven't seen my little brother since Thanksgiving so I'm really excited to see him and his wife. My little bro wanted to go crabbing but after talking to the locals and my mom who grew up on the coast we found out that crabbing season is effectively over and that what ever he would catch would be small and not have a lot of meat. Ryan spotted a fishing boat off some docks that sell fresh crab for $7 a pound (about $14 a crab) - compared to $22 to buy one at a restaurant - or for crab already cracked it's $37 a pound! Mom's going to bring the outdoor gas grill, pot, salt and nut crackers so we can buy it and cook it ourselves. The place we are staying does not permit crab to be cooked inside the unit or to even be consumed inside. I don't blame them - if' the carcass is not discarded properly you end up with a very stinky mess.

Can you tell I'm hungry for seafood? Uh, oh. I only have 5 minutes left and I need to google how much crab a pregnant woman can eat.

Later!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi April,

Glad you're having a good time on your vacation! I've never cooked crab before, but I think I'd be too scared to do it myself...and wouldn't want to touch them either. Sounds so yummy, hope you enjoyed them :)

Only 10 more days till our vacation (we're counting down everyday) and we're very, very excited to see our family since we haven't seen them since Christmas.

Hope you will post some pictures, maybe even of the crab! :)

apriljahns said...

Crab is easy to cook. Boil water & loads of salt, insert crab, reboil, wait 20 minutes, remove crab, rinse in cold water, remove back, rinse & enjoy. I've only been pinched by a crab once. I was 4 or 5 and stuck my hand in the sink to poke the crab. The crab won. Well, temporarily. An adult came over and ripped the leg off the crab - then I ate him shortly thereafter. So I guess I won.
Ryan has a coworker who wanted to know how hard a crab could pinch. I joked that I would pinch his finger with a vice grip but he went ahead and let a crab pinch him. Yowza. Not a good move.

Unknown said...

Sounds easy enough, but I'm still not a fan of cooking something while it's technically still alive! Watching it crawl, then right in the boiling water. Maybe if it was dead first. Or maybe if it was cut up... I just don't like seeing the whole thing squirming and then eating it.

I have a problem with seeing the entire animal I guess. It really stems from biology class. We dissected crayfish one day and I swear the same night we had Cajun night in the cafeteria! And there were the crayfish again! I thought it was just gross cuz you could see the entire animal, guts and all while you were eating it. I took one and put it on my tray and the entire time it felt like it was just staring at me. I couldn't eat it, but we had fun playing with them.

I just can't eat stuff like clams, crayfish or crab....unless it is just the crab leg by itself and I didn't have any part in cooking it. Okay, that was a totally unnecessary explanation! Sorry :) Hope you're enjoying your trip!

Matt and Crina said...

Fresh crab sounds good. I had at safeway fresh crab just by itself. I think it would have been better on a fresh tossed salad. The frozen crab they were sampling reminded me of string cheese (white and salty). I love cheese, so I think with something else than just raw and frozen would have been really good.

Eat all you want before labor. Even if you are OK they won't give you food, not even a string cheese you bring from home. Afterwards you can feast!