Thursday, February 05, 2009

Valentine's Day Through the Years

Hallmark's favorite holiday is just around the corner. Valentine's Day is such an awkward holiday for singles and marrieds. A day when you are supposed to profess your love for your mate, date or whomever. I've never been the biggest Valentine's Day fan but if Wendy or Kim is reading this they may remember it a little differently since they knew me in elementary school and on through High School.

I did, however, like the Valentine's Day party at school. After agonizing over which cards to buy at the grocery store, you know, Garfield, My Little Pony, Ziggy (Iggy - I never understood why an 8 year old would pick his cards), Snoopy - all of which were smaller than an index card and twice as thin, we spent the night before signing the cards. The brave among us would add a note in addition to our name scrawled on the card. Some people would declare their undying love with a bold statement like, "I like you." but neglect to add their identifying mark - his or her name. Or, you could sign all cards, "Love" and know that you really only meant it for one person but to save face you have to sign all cards the same so no one could say, "Oooh! Sara likes Mike!" which would of course lead to a rousing chorus of, "Sara and Mike sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!"

There was one move that was reserved for the true Casanovas: strategic placement of candy conversation hearts. I recall being careless about the candy hearts. I tossed two or three in each envelope but I made sure there was nothing suggestive about the messages on the hearts for the boys, especially, if I didn't like the boy. I certainly didn't need grief about liking a boy that I despised.

That was elementary school. Then Valentine's Day just added a new dimension of uncomfortableness to the awkwardness that was Junior High. As if Junior High wasn't bad enough in and of itself there was February 14th to make you feel like an even bigger loser because you didn't have a boyfriend. Never mind you wouldn't know what to do if you did have a boyfriend since you died every time a boy you were even remotely interested in passed you in the hall - or *gasp* made eye contact with you or double *gasp* said "hey" to you.

In High School I was a little more comfortable in my own skin and was growing more confident with each year until it was time to leave. I was still boyfriend-less throughout high school. Boys liked me but they were either in the My-parents-could-never-know-about-them-cause-they-are-so-bad crowd or in the uh-dad-a-boy-asked-me-out-can-you-say-I-can't-go-out-with-him-because-I-don't-want-to-hurt-his-feelings crowd. The bad boys were easy to say no to but they didn't get it. I was the wallflower that should have swooned because they took a shine to me. Once I realized that I got a little sinister pleasure out of turning them down. Bitchy, I know. Bwa-ha ha ha.

By time college came around I had boyfriends but then we were too poor to do anything for Valentine's Day. Then as I got older I just didn't care. This year marks mine and Ryan's 8th Valentine's together, our second as parents. I don't remember what we did last year. I think we got cards for each other at the grocery store on the 14th and maybe went out to an early dinner with Gavin in tow.

This year we have plans. Real plans. We haven't been on a date since this summer but that's not saying much. Even before Gavin we didn't do a whole heck of a lot; dinner and the occasional movie and occasional camping trip. If you know me you know I detest going to movies with friends if we don't go out for coffee or dinner afterwards. I can't watch a 2 hour flick and then not talk about it. C'mon. Our dates now consist of working out at the same time at the gym. I've been thinking we need to do something just the two of us so a couple of weeks ago I was trying to figure out a good weekend to get a sitter. As much as I want to remain an anti-Valentine's girl my resolve is crumbling this year. I did tell Ryan to not buy me flowers since they are outrageously expensive. I did not forbid him from buying me sapphires, rubies or sapphires - I don't think there is a mark up on them for V-Day. Maybe I'm confusing my excitement for our date with excitement for Valentine's Day as our date happens to fall on V-Day.

By the way, did you know that it is hard to come by a sitter on February 14th - especially when it happens to be a Saturday. Sheesh! I thought I was being on top of it by starting 3 weeks out. Not good enough.

I'm going to keep mum about what the plans for the evening are since it is a surprise for Ryan. I think he'll have a good time. I'll let you know what we did after we do what have planned to do.

3 comments:

Wilson Clan said...

I enjoyed taking a trip down memory lane with your description about elementary school Valentine's Day parties. That was my favorite party of the year.

Swell said...

Hi April! I'm finally catching up on internet :) Great post, it made me think about the time in grade 6 when someone wrote "I like you" on my V-day card...I spent the rest of the year trying to guess who wrote it, but never found out. Hope you have a great V-day next weekend! Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Matt and Crina said...

Ha! I remember my first one. Somebody from Youth group gave me one with some sort of cartoon, and I was 16 years old. My thinking at 16 was : "What in the world? I want no cartoon card. Where is the jewlery?" Remember, romanian girls expect a lot more at 16 than a cartoon card.... :-) Besides, I had just moved in town and I didn't quite understand what the big fuss was over giving somebody cards, especially with cartoons on it! ...and candy with the message: "page me".