Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nice Kitty

Days like today are what make living in Seattle great.  When the sun is out and it's warm - it's the best!  I've been to other sunny places and it's not the same.  We were in Arizona recently and it was sunny for a day or two while we were there and - eh.  It's just not the same.  It's a flat brown sprawling deserty suburb.  Of course, the company was fantastic.  And the cacti and citrus trees.  Those were super cool.  So cool in fact I took a bunch of pictures of orange trees.  Next time we go maybe Ryan and I will venture off to Sedona or something - I loooooovvvvvveee Sedona.  Anyhoo.... back to the Emerald City.

We've been cold and soggy since a nice week in March.  At least it feels like we've been living in perpetual rain.  The other day I thought about making some hot cocoa to warm myself up.  It's the middle of freakin' May!

So, with the sun out in it's full glory we hit the road for the zoo.  And by hit the road I mean, ate a leisurely breakfast, put Theo down for a nap, let Gavin play my Nintendo DS (he has his very own Elmo game) on Ryan's side of the bed so I could doze, and wrangle the boys for an hour and a half in an attempt to get out the house to do something fun. 

Our first stop was fun, fun, fun!  For me.  We went to True Value where I picked up an obscene amount of seeds to plant in my obscenely tiny garden.  I picked out carrots, colored carrots, peas, swiss chard, lettuce, cucumbers, pumpkins (I will be happy with just one pumpkin), beets and.....  I think that's it.  Now I just need to get one or two tomato plants.  Oh, and actually plant everything.

The penguins were a hoot today.  Well, one penguin was a hoot.  He was swimming back and forth along a glass enclosure following the kids as they walked back and forth.  It was so entertaining.  The kids shrieking with excitement wasn't my cup of tea, though.  I felt kind of like a scrooge.  Gavin is pretty quiet but I think if Theo was a little older and understood how unusual that little show the penguin was putting on was he would have been the loudest of them all. 

The hippo wasn't much of a hoot but it was the first time I saw the hippo in all the years I've been going there so I was really excited about that.  Another first for me and the boys was that this was the first time I didn't take them to see the ducks.  The ducks are my favorite part of the zoo.  No joke.  I really like ducks.  They are so cute what with all of their waddling and quacking.  So cute!

Every time we go to the lion exhibit they are always off in the distance taking a nap and just looking really depressed.  The last time we were there I couldn't help but notice some ducks who were in their enclosure by a small pond.  I kept thinking, "Does the lion not see them?  Do the ducks not see that huge cat over there?" 

Today we were in for a real treat as the lioness was front and center at the glass.  Looking into the eyes of a lion from 3 inches away is a little unsettling even with a nice thick glass barrier between us.  I crouched down and put my face right in front of hers and she sized me up and looked right in my eyes.  When our eyes connected for a very brief moment a shiver ran down my spine.

Gavin and Theo had noooo idea the lion was sizing them up as tasty little snacks.  Gavin and Theo were so excited to see this big cat that they were jumping up and down and trying to touch her face through the glass.  I told them that even though they were safe they should not tease the lion and to have some respect for it.  Sheesh.  Don't tease the lion!  It feels like you are just asking for it.    

No comments: