Thursday, January 17, 2008

Stalking the Parks Dept. Employee

Little G was fussy so I put him in his car seat which I then clicked into the stroller, packed the diaper bag, the laptop, external hard drive and grabbed the essentials from my purse and stuffed them into the laptop bag and headed to the library. The short walk to the library did not put him to sleep so I kept walking. And walking. And walking. No such luck.
I stopped in the baby boutique Buggy and bought some mitts to cover the talon Gavin's talon like finger nails that grow almost fast enough to watch with the naked eye. He still refused to sleep. We headed back in the direction of the library and this time I slowed my pace as we walked through the small triangular park as a Parks Department employee was using a leaf blower. I peaked at Gavin and saw his eyes getting heavy as the leaf blower worked its magic on his noise loving ears.
Sweet sleep! At last!
One more block and we were at the library. I paid my late fees that were very, very, very late (several years late) in the amount of $18.50. As I put my checkbook away I see Gavin's eyes pop open. I roll the stroller back and forth.

His beautiful blue eyes remain open. Then his mouth opens. Then he proceeds to protest at being in a quiet warm environment where his beloved Mommy wanted to do some simple work.
Being the nice person I am I left the tranquility that Gavin was making less tranquil by the second and walked back up the road. This time I stopped on the sidewalk opposite the leaf blowing man. Leaf blowing man turned the blower down. I didn't budge. Leaf blowing man finally turned it back to full power when it became clear I wasn't going anywhere. He moved to the opposite end of the small park. I followed then parked the stroller and waited for Gavin's eyelids to become heavy. It didn't take long. So I stood there rolling the stroller back and forth over a crack in the sidewalk while leaf blowing man blew leaves.

After G fell asleep I gave the noise another couple of minutes to make sure he was going to stay asleep. Unfortunately I couldn't go to the library because the quiet would wake him so I kept walking and am now sitting in Galaxie Espresso. I devoured a delicious turkey sandwich on a baguette. It was a large sandwich but I'm still hungry. Breast feeding requires a lot of energy and since I've been walking a lot the last couple of days I've been expending a lot more energy without replacing it properly.

I suppose I should get to work on sorting photos and such since that is what I set out to do when I left the house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny. I wonder what it is about sound that he like so much. Do you have a humidifier or something like that in his nursery?

We're flying thru Seattle on our way to Alaska! We'll wave to you :) Too bad our layover is only 1 hour and 15 min.

Nicole

Matt and Crina said...

That is funny that little G-man likes the noise better than the quiet! I also think it is funny how some babies sometimes will do anything to fight to sleep. Not me ;-) Quiet, or leaf blower, I would sleep!

Do you have a Baby stroller, or a BAby jogger for walks?

How was your Birthday?