Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Freak Out Update

Last month I was freaking out about cooking a holiday meal for the family. I blathered on about linens and pies and sides and the bird. A couple of people have asked me if I've made any decisions about the dinner and if I'm still freaking out.

Decisions? Eh, I suppose I've made some decisions. First decision, napkins. I bought some new cloth napkins at Ikea. I washed them and now they are sitting in a pile waiting to be ironed. Lesson: buy paper napkins, they don't need to be ironed.

My second decision was to make a table cloth because I couldn't find one I liked at BB&B or Target. My conclusion about making a table cloth? Lame. Why? Sure, all I have to do is the hem the edges but still, it is one more thing to do.

I think that is as far as I went with the decisions unless you count deciding to stop freaking out a decision. Well, I quit freaking out about food but I'm still gearing up to be completely rattled by Monday about the guest quarters. The basement is going to need to be thoroughly vacuumed as the cats have shed copious amounts of fur all over the carpet and furniture. On top of all of the cat fur is all of the stuff from the office that is spilling out into the living area since Ryan has been cleaning out that space and all of the Christmas bins which are stored in the office are of course piled high in the living area. I can't clean until the floor is clear. OK. Forget Monday; I'm worked up now.

***
I had a dream earlier this evening that is related to my dirty basement. My very pregnant friend Heather stopped by my house so we could carpool to visit our other friend Katie who just had a baby. Heather who was due on Monday, was at my house when her water broke. It wouldn't have been a big deal but the roads were icy so she had to stay at my house to deliver her baby. I wasn't freaking about delivering a baby but I was freaking about not having vacuumed the area because Heather is allergic to cats.
***

Work has been kind of slow for Ryan so he should have some time to clean the office and living area downstairs next week. Then when he is done with his version of cleaning I can start with mine. Ryan and I complement each other very nicely when we do decide to clean. He takes care of the piles of stuff and I do the actual cleaning - vacuuming, dusting, washing.

One last note about the Christmas Freak Out. When I wrote about it in November I wrote how in my 30 years on this earth I've never hosted a holiday meal. No one caught it - this is my 31st year on planet earth and it is the tail end of said year. But why would anyone argue with me? If anyone knows my age it should be me.

1 comment:

Matt and Crina said...

You can dress a table and make it very pretty for a holiday dinner. I hope you take pictures.

April, you still look like you are 25 years old!!