Friday, December 19, 2008

Little House on the Prairie

Saturday

We are still snowed in up here in our little neighborhood in Seattle. Some cars braved the icy roads up here but they almost all had chains - and the buses were running - at least they were running better than they were yesterday (exception: http://seeheidirun.blogspot.com/2008/12/bad-day-to-be-bus-driver.html). With the snow in a city like Seattle where we get very little snow and have so many hills everyone takes a snow day.

Yesterday I went for a walk to a children's consignment shop in the late afternoon to buy Gavin some mittens. I could not believe how many people were out and about. Most people that were going my direction we returning from the grocery store and I bet everyone walking the other direction were going to the store. Even the local bar was packed with people - I never see anyone in that joint. It felt a little Norman Rockwell-ish to have see so many people walking about in the snow.

Unfortunately Gavin has been sick. He went to see his doctor last week but he got better then worse then better until last night his ears were full of gunk. This morning I called his doctor and she suggested that he be seen but she couldn't get to her office and we certainly couldn't drive to her office in West Seattle so I called a local clinic to schedule an appointment because we couldn't risk Gavin getting worse over the weekend - it would be at least an hours walk the to the ER. After being on hold for 20 minutes because the clinic was understaffed Gavin had an appointment with a pediatrician. The receptionist tried to give us an appointment time only a half hour away so I had to ask for something a little later to give us time to get there.

It took about 10 minutes just to get Gavin ready for our long walk to the doctor. He was layered in pajamas, a sweatshirt, a pair of pants, shoes, a coat, mittens and a hat. Then we had to squeeze him into his stroller and wrap him up with a blanket. Then we were off stomping through the snow and sliding on the icy sidewalks for twenty-five minutes until we reached the clinic. I felt a bit like Laura Ingalls-Wilder from Little House on the Prairie, bundling up my family to take my sick child to the doctor.

The doctor said Gavin ruptured both eardrums but as a result he was no longer in pain which would explain why he slept better last night. Don't you worry about the little G, though. The doc said 98% of these cases heal normally in about a month and to prevent further infection until he is healed he is getting a 10 day treatment of oral antibiotics and a 7 day treatment of antibiotic ear drops.

Sunday

Last night some friends braved the snow and ice to come to our house for games and dessert. We are so much fun they risked life and limb to spend a few hours with us. OR they are originally from Montana and driving in the snow is old hat for them. I think it is the latter. Although, I do think we are a hoot.

The snow started up again last night and hasn't let up since. I measured the snow late last night. We had 3 inches of new snow last night and a total accumulation of 7.75" that I measured on top of the car. I am not hopeful that we will be able to leave for Christmas to spend with Ryan's family. Ryan's dad & step-mom are still coming over from Wenatchee but they have a vehicle that can handle the snow and they are accustomed to driving in it.

As beautiful as this snow is I wish it would melt already! I do not like being forced to stay at home. If we lived in our house in West Seattle still I would have gone completely bonkers by now as there is very little within walking distance to that house other than the Delridge mini mart, Uptown Espresso and Subway. In our current neighborhood we have a grocery store, a medical clinic with a pharmacy, two coffee joints, a mail center, 2 Mexican restaurants, a Filipino restaurant, a bar, a children's consignment shop, a very small clothing store, two tailors, a dry cleaners, 2 Mexican miscellaneous stores (I've only been inside one when I was on the prowl for a pinata - no dice - but the Italian bakery down the hill had a ton to choose from)... oh, and we have two gas stations but those aren't doing us any good since we aren't driving. I guess I'm mostly upset because I can't visit my friends. I've had to miss 2 bible studies and a PEPS (my mom's group) because of the blasted snow and I STILL haven't met little baby Rylan. Katie (Rylan's mom) met Gavin hours after he was born and now I have to wait weeks to meet Rylan! Not fair.

Stupid snow.

Hmpf. I suppose I should just enjoy the snow since I can't do anything about it. Ryan has tried doing something about it a couple of times by shoveling the stairs and walk way. Each time he does the snow starts back up with in an hour or two and all of his hard work is covered up by snow again. I think it is hilarious but Ryan doesn't see the humor in it like I do.

No comments: