Thursday, July 02, 2009

Nesting Part Deux

Gavin and I stopped at Lowe's on the way home from the vet today. Well, does one ever just stop by a behemoth home improvement store? Rarely. I do not miss the hours spent in Lowe's and Home Depot watching the employees milling about the store ready to answer a question grow more and more scant and less and less helpful. Some days I feel like our home improvement days are over then realize that they are far from over.

Sure, I have an intact kitchen - a messy but functional kitchen. There is not a sawhorse to be seen, no extension cords to trip over, no drill bits, drills, chargers, hammers or saws on the dining room table yet the list of stuff to do feels daunting. Daunting because it is full of little projects.

Fix the front gate so both doors are even
Tile the basement landings
Paint the stairwell from the kitchen to the basement
Carpet the stairs
Nail the trim in the basement
Put in stairs in the back yard leading to the garage and alley
Paint the house (which involves picking out a color, a stain for the cedar on the converted porch and stone to replace the faux river rock)
Carpet the upstairs bedrooms and hallway (I got a nasty splinter in our bedroom when Gavin was an infant - it required a visit to the doctors office and a foot full of lidocaine)
Fix the 2 way switch for the living room lights
Get a new mail slot
Empty the guest room dresser so guests can use it since the closet is full of stuff
Make space in the guest room closet
Make room in ALL closets
Make repeated trips to Goodwill in an attempt to make breathing room

I'm starting to think nesting is kicking in. Hopefully I won't have many full blown crazy attacks this time round because I know a little better what to expect.

Although I'm already starting to obsess over the sleeping arrangements (even though Gavin was in our room until he was 8 months old) and where I'm going to put clothes for two little boys and what I'm going to do with more baby stuff since Gavin's room is just about right except for his closet. There is no more room to be had in his closet. There are shelves and cubbies and drawers and doors galore in that micro-mini closet of his.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like there is still a whole lot to be done! I bet your house is looking fantastic already! Can't wait to visit and see it finished!

Crina