Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Mini Rant

I don't know what I did for pajamas when I was pregnant with Gavin. I think I slept in a lot of nothing when it was hot but as it got colder I wore non-maternity lounge pants and tank tops and t-shirts. Not so comfortable - or flattering. This time around I wanted more comfortable sleep attire especially since we replaced the windows in the entry way that one can actually see through and straight through our long skinny house.

With the old windows I kept the 'temporary' paper shades closed in front of the cloudy window that you couldn't see through anyway so it didn't matter what I was (or was not) wearing; but now with the new windows the curtains are always open because its such a pretty window with a view of some trees. No one out for a midnight stroll needs to see a half naked pregnant lady wandering around the house at night as she looks for Tums, a snack, drink of water, the laptop for some facebook time...

Today I decided it was past time to get some pajamas. The ideal time to buy new jammies would have been before our family vacation where every time I had to get up to use the bathroom I had to pause to pull on some shorts before waddling to the bathroom. I waited until Ryan came home from work before I left although I did offer to do a baby drop off at his office at quitting time on my way to the Gap downtown.

I was pretty excited to see what kind of cute maternity duds the Gap had in stock and I was pretty disappointed with their three measly racks of clothing in their stuffy basement. Oh well, Old Navy was across the street. I hauled myself up the slight incline to Old Navy and asked an employee where the maternity department was. Third floor. I was pretty disappointed with their three racks of clothing as well. Again, no jammies to be found. A clerk thought there might be a maternity store in Westlake Center. Do the Gap and Old Navy think pregnant women don't want pajamas?

On my way to Westlake Center I popped into Nordstrum. No maternity department but one employee told me she thought their maternity clothes were spread out between departments. She suggested I start on the second floor. Obviously this is a woman who has not experienced the joys of the third trimester as your hips and pelvis turn into jelly - walking is good exercise but who wants to walk their gelatinous self to death in Nordstrum in search of hippos sized pajamas? Not me.

One more block to Westlake Center and lo and behold I saw in print on the directory: Motherhood Maternity. The clouds parted and angels could be heard singing as they shone a light on the all things maternity store one level above.

Blessed store designated to outfitting the pregnant woman. Not only did they have pajamas - and cute ones - they had several styles to choose from. And robes! It was hard to not buy all of them but I reasoned a long pair of pants and a pair of shorts would be sufficient. I'm taking the cute pajamas with the super cute top with me to the hospital so I won't have to wear their hideous blue floral print robe with ruffled sleeves. Gag.

I think I'm going to go put on my super cute new pajamas now.

No comments: