Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sleep

It has been so long since sleep has been an issue in my house. Well, sleep as related Gavin that is. I haven't been sleeping well with this pregnancy but that's been ok because I would take a nap when Gavin takes a nap. His napping schedule was so consistent. Somewhere between noon and 1:00 he would go down for a nap and sleep about 2 hours; some days he would even sleep 3 hours.

Something has been happening over the last several weeks. I don't know what it is but I do know that I don't like it because it is interfering with Gavin's sleep which in turn interferes with my sleep. I'm not a nice person when I'm sleep deprived. Well, that's not entirely true. I can still put on a good show to outsiders but lemme tell ya - I'm not pleasant to be around. Ask Ryan.

I've tried to account for all of the different variables that have the potential to affect ones sleep.

  • Heat. Not a factor. We have central a/c so the temperature is pretty constant.
  • Light. Being summer it stays light well into the night. Also not a factor as he was sleeping just fine even when his bedroom was well lit from the natural light streaming in through the windows. His sleep has started to deteriorate even as it gets darker earlier and earlier.
  • Fatigue. Is the little dude actually tired? Well, yes. He still has his time of delirium when everything is not just hilarious, its freakin' hilarious. This is our favorite time.
  • Routine. Has the bedtime routine been followed? Yes.
  • Teething. I don't think any teeth are coming in. He's not chewing on stuff (unless you count his attempts to bite me when I muffle his screaming in public places like the library, train or doctors office) and more telling - he's not drooling; nor is he more grumpy than usual.

After this week of him fighting his nap (the shortest period of time he fought was 45 minutes) and taking over an hour to fall asleep at night I'm beginning to think this is just how he's going to fall asleep for a while. I just need to make peace with it. In the beginning of the week he cried more but after realizing we weren't going to take him out of the crib (we would go in and comfort him) or put him right back after giving him a hug he's just taken to jabbering, calling the dog or meowing really, really loud.

At least once he falls asleep for his nap he will sleep for 3 hours. THREE HOURS!!! He's not falling asleep until 10 at night but is waking up at the same time so he makes up for it at nap time. That gives me plenty of time to take a nice nap myself and take a shower.

I hope he's still taking 3 hour naps when his brother arrives.

No comments: