Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rabbit Hole in my Brain

Sometimes Ryan will give me a bewildered look in the middle of one of my riveting stories and say, "Where on earth did that come from?"  Apparently he doesn't realize I easily fall down rabbit holes in my head with the slightest verbal, olfactory or auditory stimulation.  Take the following hole I fell down tonight. 

While standing in the checkout line at QFC I scanned the freezer case behind me.  Was there anything on sale?  Anything on sale that I wanted?  No.  But I did see a Stouffer's frozen meal that was on sale.  That made me do a quick look for their frozen mac 'n cheese because their frozen mac 'n cheese is AMAZING. 

No joke. 

I became a frozen food connoisseur during our 6 month period of kitchenless living while we were remodeling our kitchen.  I think I also gained 20 pounds but that is neither here nor there.  

Actually, it is here.  I'm sitting on it.

Anyhoo. 

Seeing the Stouffer's frozen food made me think of a frozen lasagna I bought almost two years ago.  It was really gross and I was mortified that it was so gross because it was the dinner I contributed to a weekend away with another couple to Birch Bay.  To make sure the gross meal was completely gross I also bought a flavorless pre-buttered loaf of french bread.  Both items were purchased at my local teeny tiny grocery store. 

That got me to thinking, "Why did I buy that no name brand of lasagna?"  Then I remembered it was because I didn't have time to go to Costco to buy their ginormous fattening and delicious lasagna and make it to the ferry on time.  Or to QFC to buy a normal size, fattening and delicious Stouffer's frozen lasagna. 

Then I remembered I was pregnant with Theo while we were there.  I think I was getting close to feeling him move inside of me because I remember standing in the yard at the cabin looking at the ocean and rubbing my hands on my belly as I swayed from side to side. 

Then a shocking feeling swept over me:  nostalgia.

Blah!  Nostalgic for pregnancy?  Nooooooo!!!!

Slap me. 

If I told Ryan he might.  Just kidding.  He would never do that. 

Granted, Theo's incubation period was nothing like Gavin's.  It was a cake walk in comparison.  But, still, nothing I want to repeat. 

Now baby cuddles.  Those I would like to repeat. 

Sleepless night?

No thanks. 

Getting peed on?

No thanks.

First smiles?

Yes, please.

Seeing your baby throw his blankie and pacifier to the ground as he shrieks in pure delight and runs to you when you first walk in a room. 

Yes, please. 

No comments: