Sunday, January 14, 2007


I'm officially an adult!

30 years old as of yesterday. Happy one day late birthday to me!

I notice that I've changed the date of 'official' adult status a few times. The first was when I turned 18 - able to vote, then 21 - able to drink, now 30 - able to... ?
Maybe I keep changing it because I don't 'feel' any older. I don't want to wake up one day and say, "Hm, I feel old." Maybe people feel old when their bodies start to fail. That criterion won't work for me either since I've had creaky knees for so long now that I don't consider it an 'old person' ailment.

Ah ha! I have it! The official "official adult" age criteria: 25. The age at which you can rent a car and attend a timeshare presentation. So, I've been an adult for 5 years and didn't even know it.

So... yesterday. My birthday. The first half of the day Ryan and I cleaned the house and at 2:00 his mom and step-dad showed up and they too cleaned the house. The whole time of the mass cleaning effort no one said why we were cleaning like it was a normal everyday occasion for your in laws to drive an hour and a half to visit to promptly begin cleaning. We all knew why we were cleaning but no one said a word.

My bible study girl friends took me to dinner at Guadalajara in West Seattle in the evening. We had a lovely, huge Mexican feast. Heidi pointed out early on that our server sounded like Fez from That 70's Show. Every time he came over I had to suppress the strong urge to giggle and I avoided eye contact with Heidi for fear I would see her trying to not laugh and lose all control.

The girls dropped me off at home and I invited them in to the house. It was odd, the lights were off and the house was quiet. Not even a wiggly yellow dog came to greet me. Do I smell a surprise party? Yes, I do! The lights came on and everyone yelled, "Surprise!" I was surprised. I knew it was going to happen but I wasn't sure who was going to be there. Soccer friends, actually Ryan's co-workers & their spouses turned friends over two seasons of soccer, my girls of course and my family! I was so surprised that they came up! It was such a nice surprise to see my mom, brother and sis-in-law and my Aunt Paulette and cousin Ashley!

Everyone brought gifts. It has been a very long time since I sat on a chair and people stared at me while I opened gifts. Well, they watched, not so much stared. Stare has such a rude connotation. I did decide last night that we need some sort of stereo upstairs. Using the music channels on the TV isn't quite the same as playing CDs.

I got a hula hoop from my mom. I asked for it. I hope that sometime this year I will be able to keep it up around my waist for... any length of time, actually.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

April,
SO happy you had a GREAT birthday! I was hoping it would turn to be the best birthday ever for you! Sorry we couldn't make it; I am trouble around food... We were there with you by thinking of you and hoping the best for you! It sounds like you had fun! Wow! A hoola hoop...that is plain fun thing to do. Has Kea taken it and ran with it through the house yet, and then you to chase her?

April, you look great in the picture and your beautiful smile is as young and ever! Love,
Crina, Matt, Baby and Noelle

apriljahns said...

Kea did try to attack the hula hoop - while I was using it! It was pretty funny. It looks like an oversize dog toy.

Jill said...

Happy Birthday April!
I am almost an adult too. I am not really looking forward to it.
by the way, yes you do know me, check out my blog and you will figure it out.

apriljahns said...

Gilda, I went to your blogger home page but nothing opened. (I did figure it out...) : ) When's your birthday?

Unknown said...

Happy very belated Birthday April! Sorry I've been away from internet for quite a while... Even at the Internet cafes we've been going to here I tend just to watch Matt cuz I don't wanna get near the computers. But the one today is great..so I'm online now :) Sounds like you had a lot of fun on your b-day. I'll be turning the big 3-0 in Dec! Matt turned 30 in August. Mexican food sounds so good right now. We'll probably have McDees for dinner or maybe falafel yet again. We're not too thrilled with the hotel food, so McDees is actually safe to eat! I had a happy meal yesterday and boy was I happy :) Today is our last Egypt day and we're doing nothing but walking around and resting. Good stuff since we probably have full day tomorrow. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your blog...I didn't know you started to update again till now! I'm so glad :) Again, happy very belated birthday and hope this year will be one of your best so far!

Love,

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Pretty girl