Monday, July 28, 2008

Dada?

Gavin is his father's son: a male of few words. Sure he babbles but he mostly sputters and makes a cute hissing sound that kind of sounds like radio static. Over the past couple of days he has started adding a 'd' and 'k' sound to his babbling. It is of course, SUPER CUTE.

Tonight as I was patting his back and kissing his sweet, sweet head that was resting on my shoulder I heard him start to make his static sounds. I looked at him and he was staring at the colorful pictures on one of the walls in his bedroom. His smile was so big and bright and the sounds he was making were so cute that I couldn't resist. I pulled him away from me so I could look him right in the face. He smiled and started babbling. I started practicing "mama" with him but he was making 'd' sounds so I said, "Dada" over and over, slowly and deliberately. His eyes left mine and became fixated on my mouth. You could see him studying my mouth as I said Dada.

Then, very softly, I heard da da come out of his mouth. I gasped and said, "Dada" and he said in return, "da... da" I called Ryan in the room. He came in kind of surprised that I would call him in while I was trying to get Gavin to sleep. I turned my attention back to Gavin and told Ryan to listen as I coaxed Gavin to say Dada again. Ryan leaned in and said Dada and watched Gavin's mouth as he said, "Da". He didn't quite get a Dada out of him but several da's.

Everyone says it but this is all going by so fast. He's barely been out of me longer than he was in me and he is already working on his first word and he is really close to walking. Part of me looks forward to each new first but I know that as each first comes and goes so does the time that I have with him in this precious state of babyhood.

1 comment:

Matt and Crina said...

That is so precious!!! Doesn't your heart just melt and fills up with unexplainable joy to hear all his firsts? He might be walking by the time he turns 1 year old ;-)

Crina