Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Screws, Angels and Cuteness

I knew there were three screws in my foot. I knew one of them was coming out. I saw them on X-ray films several times. I did not understand how big the screws are nor how much it looks like a screw you could have fished out of one Ryan's tool boxes. Have a looksie for yourself.

That is the actual screw the doctor took out of my foot. Two others shall stay in place. I may or may not set of metal detectors at the airport. We'll see.




No, there wasn't a screw in my hand. That picture is just to give you an idea of how big it is (the screw, not my hand).

Dr. Vickers gave me two shots in the top of my foot to make it go numb so he could make an incision and take the screw out (you can see the one stitch from where the screw was). The medicine was supposed to take 30 minutes to take effect but my foot did not get the medication insert telling it was supposed to go numb. After 30 minutes passed my foot was still not numb; the doctor would tickle the bottom of my foot to check it. If I giggled and pulled my foot away I flunked the test. After an hour my foot was still not completely numb so they gave it 1o more minutes. I could still feel him tickling the bottom of my foot but felt nothing on top when he poked and pinched me so I told him I was ready.

He put a tray with the sterile equipment over my lap and at a height as to block my view. It was very kind of him to do. I don't think I would have fared well seeing what he was doing. Even though I was mostly numb I did feel it a little bit when he started to pull the screw out. I didn't see the screw driver he used but the end of the screw makes me think it must have been something like an allen wrench. I wonder if he loses the screwdriver if he can use an Ikea allen wrench instead.

There is a hole in my bone that will fill in over the next 6 months and I can't do any running in the mean time. Oh, darn. If you know me you know how much I love running. Can't get enough pavement pounding in. Do I ever love the burn in the lungs and the mucous in the throat obstructing breathing. Fun!

****

I saw the Blue Angels today. I saw them on Thursday and I saw them on Friday and I saw them on Saturday but today I SAW them. Thursday was their practice day. We live close to Boeing Field so when they would fly down over Lake Washington they start up on the hill where we are and zip down over the lake then back up over our house. It is LOUD. Although, I don't think its as loud as when we lived in West Seattle. In West Seattle when they flew over our house you could feel the house shake.

Two people made seeing the Blue Angels possible today. Ryan's friend Mark invited us out on the water in his boat. FUN! But what is an invitation if you don't have someone to watch the tyke? Nada, that's what. So thank you Heidi for watching the little bambino!

Oh, it was so much fun being out on the water. It would have been more fun if I would have worn my bathing suit. It would have been more bearable if I hadn't been a putz and worn something other than blue jeans. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The weather was in the high 70's but I was sitting on the water in the direct sunlight wearing heat and light absorbing dark blue heavy fabric. I was ready to peel my pants off and jump into the water. Ryan would have died.

So, the Blue Angels. I pray Gavin never wants to become a Blue Angel. Do they have a death wish? Really! I freak out when I ride a bike and someone comes within 5 feet of me - and I'm not pedaling 400 mph. Sheesh! Fast and close. I guess I wouldn't be as excited to see the Blue Angels if there wasn't the element of danger. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

***

Here are some pictures of the Gavinator. Man alive he is CUTE!!!

Gavin & friend Ezra. Notice the ball lust in Gavin's eyes.


Uh, I didn't eat the toy...
So very precious


A face any one can love but this mother really loves it


Two sleeping photos. I just couldn't choose between cute and super cute.











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos April! Gavin is WAY too cute ; )

-Heidi

Unknown said...

Ummm... that was in you!? (Question related to the screw not Gavin.)

apriljahns said...

Yep. And there are two more in there that are staying put. And as far as Gavin is concerned sometimes I look at him and think, not so much "you were in me" but "you came out of me?!"