Monday, August 04, 2008

Blending Bliss

We bought a new blender/food processor at Costco yesterday. It was kind of an impulse buy; impulsive for us, anyway. Normally for an appliance we do a little research to make sure it has good reviews but it was just sitting there on the shelf calling out to me. It said, "Psst! April! I won't leak blended food on your counter. I won't stain your counter with sticky strawberry juice when you make margaritas. I'm shiny. I'm new. You can trust me. Besides, I am also a food processor. You know you want one. You know you need one. Buy me."

It seems odd to be replacing appliances since we got most of them when we got married. The blender was a gift to me from my mom the year before I got married. She won it at a church picnic and gave it to me instead of my little brother who also wanted it. I told him it was because she loved me more although I think the real reason is that he was in town visiting from Oklahoma and it would be difficult for him to stuff the blender in his luggage when she was probably hoping he would make room in his luggage for stuff that he left in his old bedroom several years earlier when he moved to Tulsa in the first place. But what is a big sister for if not to make you question your parents love for you? Ha. I love you little bro.

Ryan made smoothies using the bucket of blueberries that he bought at Costco. I was finally able to make a recipe for hummus that I've been wanting to make for a couple of weeks now. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Sounds delicious, right? Wrong. It was so very, very gross. It wasn't the red pepper that made it so gross it was the tahini (sesame seed paste). I like sesame, I like sesame candy, I like halva (a sesame puree type of dessert), I just did not like it with chickpeas. I only have one more hummus recipe to try. If that one bombs then I at least liked the first one.

When Gavin wakes from his nap we are going to do some more shopping. This time we are replacing all of our plastic food storage containers. They all probably have that awful BPA in it and when you wash them in the dishwasher it heats up the plastic and spews that nasty stuff over all of the other dishes. The latest news about the BPA is that it is linked to early puberty. Great. I thought about buying BPA free plastic but it will probably only be a matter of time before they find the new harmful substance in plastic. Besides, its made from a fossil fuel to begin with so I guess its time to go back to glass even though they will have plastic lids - I'll just wash those by hand. I also am on the look out for a stainless steel sippy cup. I know they exist because I heard a mommy friend talking about her daughter throwing her stainless steel sippy cup in the car. Yipes!

No comments: