Monday, February 15, 2010

Political Fist

Getting Gavin to eat can be a challenge. All he wants is warm milk to drink. Some days he just wants peanut butter toast - or as he calls it: peabuh tote. Tonight we thought he would like some yummy sticky brown rice with peanut sauce since he loves rice and he loves peanut butter. We asked him if he would like to try a bit. Rookie mistake. Never ask a toddler a question when you don't want the answer to be 'no'.

Gavin looked at Ryan and said a very matter of fact, "No," complete with a shake of his cute little noggin. Ryan took a new approach. "You try a bite of the rice and then I will give you warm milk."

"Warm milk?" Gavin was suddenly much more amenable to trying a bite. He opened his mouth to grant access to the spoon bearing brown rice with peanut sauce. In the spoon went. He didn't spit it out but instead had a little surprised look on his face as he realized the food was actually kind of tasty. Then he leaned forward a bit more and licked some more peanut sauce off the spoon.

Encouraged, Ryan asked, "Want another bite?"

"No."

So, he got half a cup of warm milk. If he wanted more he would have to eat something else. We offered up hummus which he was very excited about. Only thing is we were out. No fear. Hummus is one thing I can make quickly and it tastes pretty good.

Part of me feels bad feeding my kid a hummus sandwich because it sounds so gross. Hummus with veggies? Yum. Hummus on whole wheat bread? Not so yummy.

Gavin liked it so much Ryan and I didn't notice that while we were chatting Gavin was busy shoving his mouth to capacity and beyond with his disgusting little sandwich.

"Whoa! Gavin, you don't have to shove the whole thing in your mouth. Slow down, buddy." Ryan said as I looked on.

The G was trying really hard to chew his food and keep the food in his mouth. The act required great concentration as he could hardly keep his lips together. His forehead was furrowed in a semi-scowl and he slowly moved his jaws up and down, trying to keep it all in side.

His facial expressions were so cute I thought I was going to burst so instead of bursting I balled up my hand into a fist Bill Clinton style and, for emphasis, pounded it (ever so gently on the table) as I said, "I (thump) love (thump) you (thump)!"

As soon as Gavin could manage he looked at me and with his little hand balled up in a fist he said, "I (thump) love (thump) you (thump), too (thump)."

No comments: