Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Fighting Nature (Is a Losing Battle)

How does one know when nesting kicks in? I'm putting it forth the question for you to think about. I found out last night. I know nesting kicked in because it kicked me. Hard. Just ask Ryan.

In my previous post I said I was kind of sad about the possibility of the basement not being finished in time but I was not going to tell Ryan how I felt because what good would that do?

It turns out that holding your feelings in - putting them in the proverbial box, pushing them down, bottling them up, etc., doesn't work out in the long run. Who knew? It really doesn't work for a woman a month away from giving birth when nesting sneaks up behind her and cracks her across the head with a 2x4.

The conversation with my beloved started out like any normal, rational conversation would. I approached him while he relaxed on the couch after a long days work and doing some more work in the basement after he got home. I simply stated I was concerned about the basement and being able to get the baby's room done. Poor Ryan; he is not Mary Poppins. He can snap his fingers all day long but nothing is going to magically happen. He would just look like a snappin' fool. He let me know he too, is stressed too about the whole situation but reminded me that if the basement didn't get finished and the baby's room remained as is the world wouldn't end, no one would die. Everything he said was logical and rational.

Everything I felt went against reason and logic. The world was going to come to a crashing halt if the baby's room wasn't finished. At one point I told Ryan I wanted to rent a moving truck and take everything we moved into storage (so we could finish the basement) and in the soon to be baby's room, load it up and take it to the dump and just get rid of it.

We talked a little while longer and I said I was going to start calling contractors tomorrow to get bids on finishing the drywall, getting doors hung and the bathroom tiled. Thinking that I let it all out - tears and the hyperventilating and hiccoughing and the arm gesticulations of a wild woman - I went into the baby's room to "see what I can throw away."

Standing in front of the 7' tall Ikea boxy shelving unit I froze. All I saw was stuff. Stuff I couldn't get rid of. It was all stuff that we needed, paperwork from the purchase of the house, curtains to use in the basement, Ryan's sheet music, baby gifts.

A single tear welled up in my eyes then was immediately followed by a river. The river was met with a sniffle then a sob. Poor, poor Ryan. He came in and gave me a hug. What else could he do? Talk sense into me?

Nature waged a battle against me last night and it won. I hate knowing full well the reason I'm a basket case is because nature is trying to get me to physically prepare my space for our child and I can't do anything about it.

Well, I did do something about it today. I lined up three contractors to come out and give us bids on the work we want done. I have two appointments tomorrow and one on Friday. Hopefully their prices are reasonable.

Oh, and Ryan gave me a boost in spirits when he told me Ed will be in next week to finish installing the drywall (he still won't have time to do the mudding and taping - that is where the other contractors come in).

I feel so much better. Nature is bossing me around and I can't physically do anything about it but I can hire someone who can do something about it.

Today after work I picked up Ryan and we went to the local home improvement warehouse and picked out a bathroom vanity, faucet and other accessories like, the toilet paper holder and towel rack. Ah. Well, we have to actually purchase them but before we do we are going to look on e-bay and try and find a better deal on the faucet.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope your basement and baby's room get done or you're able to beat back the nesting beast.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are able to get some stuff done thru contractors - hopefully the contractors will work out. I feel bad for you...hang in there :)

Nicole

Matt and Crina said...

April, I missed the past 3 posts! I finally got to read them today, saturday, because the Babe is asleep. Girl, stop with all the worry! Baby inside you feels that you are tense. Don't know how true it is, but I had a couple mothers who told me that they worried and they were stressed about two months before the baby arrived, and then their baby was colic for 4 months and the other one 9 months. Please take it easy, God will make everything work out for your benefit. I do hope that the contractors will work out!

Regarding the Baby's room, our experience showed us that when the Babe came, it was a bigger mess than when we started. For us, we didn't know what we were doing, and loundry got unfolded, diapers were in the baby's room, toys, clothes, etc...


I have a present for you when you come back to Vancovuer for Christmas: A HUGE glass of Baily's on the Rocks. We'll celebrate together!!! I need one too!
(Yesterday I baked chewy brownies, and I soaked them with Baily's. Matt ate them, I am breastfeeding... Somedays I just don't understand why I cannot have any!)

apriljahns said...

Thanks for the concern but lecturing me about worrying does NOT help. My baby will NOT have colic because I stressed out a couple of days.
What does help me is to write about what is stressing me out, cry and throw a fit then do some deep breathing and wa-lah. All better.
I look forward to Christmas but we are only going to be in the 'Couv for Christmas Day; we probably won't have time to make rounds and visit people.
Hope you are doing well.

Matt and Crina said...

Didn't mean to 'lecture' you. I better not say anything anymore, I may not be alive tomorrow ;-)
Crina

Anonymous said...

Hey girlies, thanks for the entertainment.

Crina, I didn't know you liked alcohol so much. I guess I'll know what to get you for Xmas from now on :)

Nicole