Thursday, September 06, 2007

Summons!

Today I received a notice of Jury Summons. This summons makes my total Jury Duty summons three. I'm to report to Jury Duty on October 31st. I think that just maybe I will be granted an excuse from service since my due date is November 5th. If they don't grant me an excuse I will waddle down to the courthouse in person on the 31st (if I haven't given birth at that point) and see what they do. I imagine it would be quite amusing.

The first time I was called to jury duty I was in school so I had a great excuse; I would flunk my classes if I had to serve. Two years ago I was called to serve on a grand jury. That would have been quite the experience. The term of service calls for 2 days every other week for 18 months and since it is in a Federal Court the jurors are called from all over the state. There were people from Vancouver, east of the Cascades and as far north as Bellingham that were compelled to serve; fortunately for me the Federal courthouse in Washington is in downtown Seattle - it's just a short bus ride away. I was really hoping I would be a juror but I wasn't called - it was a random draw of the 50 or so jurors called. I was alternate #30 or 40 something.

If I was a lawyer I wouldn't pick me to be a juror, though. I watch entirely too many crime shows for my good. What they show on TV about the processes of gathering and processing evidence like blood, fibers, etc. can't be how the process really works. It doesn't seem likely that a fingerprint can be matched in minutes and a complete DNA report be run while coworkers share witty banter for 30 seconds.

I'm kind of disappointed in TiVo right now. It knows I like the crime shows but does it record them? No. What does it record instead? Lame decorating shows from HGTV which has to one of the most boring stations out there; it's up there with the station that airs live feed from the House and Senate. Snoozefest.

I should read a baby related book instead of watching TV but they are so boring. Labor positions, pain management, blah, blah, blah. Ooh, I need to fill out my birth plan. All I care is that my baby is healthy and well cared for and that I experience as little pain as possible.

Hmph. I am so grumpy right now. I'm bored but there is plenty to do, like read about how painful labor is going to be or about how exhausting the first 6 weeks after birth are. There is a messy kitchen and dining room table but I don't want to clean because I'm tired but not tired enough to go to bed; besides, reflux has kicked in and we had Mexican food for dinner so I couldn't lay down even if I wanted too. There is nothing good on the boob tube, I've already read Swell and Sheepie's updated blog; Gilda's not updating her blog but once a month and Matt and Crina aren't updating theirs because they are new parents and have better things to do than entertain me. Ryan is reading the last Harry Potter book because he's too tired to do anything else after working 12+ hour days this week, Gwen is meowing at our bedroom door so she can eat Bob's food and the dog sleeping on her bed. My usual entertainment is otherwise occupied.

And to make matters even worse, I want ice cream and we only have one lousy orange Otter Pop in the freezer that I missed during the June heatwave. Lame.

I should go to bed and get lots of rest for our day long childbirth class tomorrow. Hmm, I should probably pack snacks since I don't think they are provided. Who holds a class for a group of hungry, hungry preggos and doesn't provide snacks? That's crazy talk. Oh, boy. I hope nesting doesn't kick in this weekend because Sunday I go to Vancouver for a baby shower and come back Monday then back to work on Tuesday.

How are we going to finish everything that has to be done before the baby comes?! How? I have mountains of papers go through and sort before my last day of work and before the basement has walls because once the basement has walls we have to clean up all of the construction mess, dismantle the pool table, paint walls, install carpet, move everything from storage into the basement and put it in it's rightful place THEN we can start on the baby's room.

OK. I'm officially freaking out, now! I feel like the house has to be completely spotless and put together before the baby comes because once he comes I will have zero time to do it. Besides our moms are going to be coming up to help with the baby and it gives me an ulcer to think about them cleaning my house - aside from helping with 'normal' household stuff. I don't want to freak out everytime they go to the linen closet or try to find a trash bag under the kitchen sink.

Then the holiday blitz will be here within weeks of Juniors' birth. There will be cards to send out, office parties to attend, birth announcements to be sent out, presents to be bought and wrapped. Yikes!

I could really go for a cold Bailey's on the rocks right now. Sounds like it's time for April to find her happy place.

Goodnight.





8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of all of your summonses. I got one when I lived in Canada but I, too, was in school and couldn't attend. When Nicole was excused in GA (we were out of town) they told her she HAD to attend the next one and they set a new date.

Hope child birthing class went well.

Swell said...

Hey, I like those boring decorating shows! Well, mostly the house flipping shows now.

Hope you had a nice baby shower, wish I could've attended!

Good luck with getting the basement done.. maybe you should contact HGTV and have one of those boring shows come and do it for you :)

apriljahns said...

I like the house flipping shows I just don't care for the ones they have on HGTV.
Shower was lovely. I can't believe you didn't fly up from Georgia to come to my shower! : )
Baby class was long but great - Ryan and I both grossed out watching the baby being born on the video.

Anonymous said...

Do you ever watch the bringing home baby show or the baby story shows? I actually find the "bringing home baby" show quite entertaining and somewhat informative. And scary.

Nicole

apriljahns said...

No. I don't watch baby shows. I'm really only interested the one I'm having or those of close friends and family.

Unknown said...

I think you should watch bringing home baby. It's fun to just see the problems they go through. Like one couple had a baby seat and the hospital wouldn't let them take the baby home in it because they didn't think it was a good one (according to the hospital it was missing a piece) and they didn't know how to use it. They had to go down to the fire department and get them to explain how to use it and pull something (an extra seat belt thing attachment) out of it and then they had to go to the hospital with proof that is was fine to get their baby. It was just funny cuz the lady was in tears because they were leaving the hospital sans baby and that their car seat didn't work (and the guy was an engineer - he felt really stupid). Anyways, I find that show quite entertaining for some reason :)

Matt and Crina said...

Bailey's on the rocks sounds delish, I think I will do that after I pump!

Birth is really not that painful, don't let them fool you.

I wanted icecream too, but I actually couldn't resist temptation: Dutch Silk by Hagen Dazs, yumm , or Dark Chocolate by Tillamook. It wasn't hard to buy a half gallon since the Tillamook icecream was only $1.98 at WinCo (during my pregnancy).

We updated! Happy enterntaining! We have a lot to see.

HOw many more days, hours and minutes before you quit work?

Matt and Crina said...

You know what? We got grosed out watching the birth videos too. Maybe they show the grose ones intentionally to spook out the new parents.

The House flipping shows are fun to watch. They make me cry, the ones where they give a whole new house for people. Like the family who was taking care of horses and other animals.

During feedings and pumpings at night I got hooked on "I LOVE LUCY" reruns. Green Acres, MASH, All in the Family are other shows showing. Day alternatives are "Ice Road Truckers, Planet Earth and Cities of the Underworld.