Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Hunger

My friend Wendy used to say, "I'm starving as I know it." She probably still says that from time to time and I feel it is the perfect way for an affluent person (defined by me as someone who has never given food a second thought, as in, "will I have food to eat tomorrow) to describe their own intense hunger pains. If I were to say, "I'm starving," I feel like it diminishes the plight of real people suffering from starvation.

All of that to say, I have been sooo hungry this evening, or, if you will, starving as I know it. And it's not for lack of food. For dinner we had cod and snapper (both were on sale and I couldn't decide between the two) and corn on the cob. I ate two fillets of cod and an ear of corn then started Gavin's bedtime routine. I changed his diaper, put on his jammies, brushed his teeth then brought him into bed for his only nursing of the day. After he was done nursing (and by done I mean he kept switching sides after 15 seconds) I called Ryan in to take Gavin off to bed kicking and screaming. Ah, finally. Time to sleep. It was only 8 pm but it felt like midnight. I rolled over and tried to nod off but the deep gnawing pit in my stomach refused to go away.

I fought the hunger for a half hour before getting out of bed. Fine. If the stomach wants to be fed it shall be fed. In an attempt to fill the void I downed another ear of corn then joined Ryan on the couch to watch the American Idol results show all the while waiting for the hunger to subside.

The corn didn't do it. Next up I ate a big bowl of hot tomato soup. Yum. It's been 20 minutes since I finished the soup and I'm STILL hungry! What's going on? I believe I'm going about this the right way, eat and wait, eat and wait. What am I going to have to eat to send the "enough already" signal to my brain? Is the baby going through a growth spurt and is using every last bit of energy as I consume it? C'mon, already. I like to eat and I'm tired of eating. Maybe I wouldn't say that if there was leftover pizza in the house. We do have brownies that my in-laws brought over yesterday but I'm craving mostly nutritious foods right now which I know is a good thing since the first trimester my cravings revolved around candy.

Mmmm, candy. I could really go for some SweetTarts right about now. Or Bottlecaps, or Nerds. Or Skittles. Yum.

OK, I'm off to feed the hunger. Hopefully an orange or grapefruit will do the trick. If that doesn't work I may have to make paste out of flour and water and fill my stomach up with glue.

2 comments:

Matt and Crina said...

Eat, eat what you can, eat as much as you can, eat as many times as you can. Third trimester will sneak sooner than you know it, and you will be able to lick your lips when it comes to food cuz not much of it will fit... :-)

Happy Eatting!!!
Crina

apriljahns said...

Thanks but I don't want to have to lose a ton of weight afterwards. Right now I am just trying to stuff my face with good foods when the Hunger Monster strikes.