Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pitbulls

Gavin has been waking up super grumpy the last couple of days from his afternoon nap. And I do mean super. We (I) have to change the scenery to snap him out of it. Yesterday we picked up Ryan from work and the grumpiness lasted the whole ride to pick Ryan up from work and lasted well into the ride home. Ryan turned around in the car to talk to Gavin and the little G just sat there with a little scowl on his cute little scowly face.

Today was no different. The end of nap time ushered in a period of weeping and wailing. He didn't want to be put down but he didn't want to be held - that doesn't leave a lot of options. Except to load up the car and head to Costco. Of course, before you can do that you have to change him into clothes and change the diaper which was no small feat.

Costco worked. We got lots of fruit and a chicken for dinner and Gavin lost his grumpiness. I gained my sanity.

When I turned the corner to our street on the way home I saw three large pitbulls across the street from my house surrounding something - probably some crumbs or trash that blew in from a busy street nearby. After I parked the car I looked around to see if they were alone when I saw a guy further up the street. I got out the car and asked him if the dogs belonged to him. He said yes so I told him that in the city of Seattle dogs have to be on a leash. He shrugged and said, "they are friendly dogs."

BS

I don't care how much anyone loves pitbulls but you can't deny that they can turn. Hell, any dog can turn. If my super lovely dovey yellow lab gets worked up and starts running around like a mad dog I don't trust her. And she's a yellow lab - the large version of a little itty bitty lap dog.

I got out the car and quickly got Gavin and rushed up to the house and rang the doorbell like an obnoxious mailman until Ryan answered the door - he was a bit annoyed with the bell ringing until I told him there were 3 free roaming pit bulls across the street. I handed him Gavin and went to unload the car - you know, groceries that included a hot fresh roasted chicken.

The irresponsible and rude dog owner was now talking to a friend who looked over in my direction and laughed. Oooh. Jerks. What's to laugh about? Walking 3 very dangerous dogs off leash in front of a building that houses a day care center? Not funny. Little kids run and become instant prey.

So I sent out a notice to my neighborhood listserv and contacted the police (via their website) to ask them who I should contact the next time I see the dogs off leash again.

No comments: