Monday, April 06, 2009

Slugfest

Am I the only one whose pillow changes firmness from day to day or even from hour to hour? Sometimes when I lay me down to sleep my head sinks into my pillow as if it was stuffed with marshmallows and puppy dog ears. My head melts into the pillow and I say, "mmm," before drifting off to sweet, sweet sleep. Then there are times like I've been experiencing recently. It is late and I'm plenty tired so I get ready for bed and look forward to resting my weary head on some marshmallows and puppy dog ears but when my head hits the pillow it hits a brick instead. Some sneaky pillow elf took the marshmallows and puppy dog ears out and replaced it with a thousand layers compacted layers of thick denim. Not so comfy.


Then I lay there on my rigid pillow wondering why it is so hard at night but come 6 in the morning it will turn back into fluff. Those last two hours (Gavin permitting) are the best two hours of sleep I get all night. Why can't all eight hours of sleep be as good as the last two? Why? Why?


Now there is an extra kink in the sleep factor - pregnancy. At 12 weeks the baby is getting bigger and bigger and with a bigger baby comes a bigger uterus and with a bigger uterus comes a squished bladder. Of course a smaller bladder in and of itself is not that bad but when you substantially increase your blood volume it means to do so you are constantly thirsty and drinking water like you just walked through the Sahara Desert.

Last night I was up every two hours to pee and guzzle more water. *&^%$(* That doesn't make for a very restful night. Ryan, who also had a bad night of sleep, was very nice and took Gavin when he woke up and got him ready for church. To get ready for church I got dressed, washed my face and threw on a cute hat. Done.

When we got home from church Gavin and I went back to bed - I slept 3 hours and Gavin slept 3.5 hours. If it weren't for my bladder I could have slept longer. The first really nice day and I slept through most of it. I wanted to be outside but the baby is taking all of my energy to grow so I have little choice but to sleep when I can (when Gavin does and when Ryan's home).

No comments: