Monday, April 27, 2009

Stupid Swine

Bathing suit? Check.
Sunblock? Check.
Sunglasses? Check.
Airline tickets? Check.
Car rental? Check.
Hotel room? Check.
Swine flu? Check.

We had grand plans to go to sunny Mexico to do a lot of nothing on the beach in the sleepy town of San Jose just outside of Cabo San Lucas. We've been to this place before. I've caught myself daydreaming about sitting in a chair by the pool right next to the beach listening to the waves gently lapping up on the shore of the warm sandy beach while gazing at the azure blue ocean.

But that dream will have to wait another year. As the first reports of swine flu came in I took note that they were concentrated in Mexico City, far from the Baja peninsula. Ryan's mom and sister were urging us to make other arrangements for our vacation. We said, no, we're going to be far away from it. Then another day went by and the reports seemed like they were growing and then another day and *boom* its a pandemic. I called my doctor this morning to ask her if we should consider changing our plans and she said that she, herself, would not go to Mexico. She urged us to cancel our trip but said if we did go to wear masks in crowded places and to always wash our hands.

I'm really upset at the pigs right now. Normally when you are unhappy with something or someone you boycott their service or product but I'm thinking, "How do I get back at the pigs for ruining my Mexico vacation?"

Eat more pork! That'll show 'em.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I heard that if you were booked on Alaska Airlines that they'll help you re-direct to Hawaii or Florida... that might be a good option and they aren't charging change fees right now. Darn it, you were so excited about your vacation! Hawaii??

-Heidi

apriljahns said...

We're looking into other options but I have a feeling a lot is going to be booked quickly since everyone is changing their plans. Hopefully we have something booked by tonight.

Swell said...

So sorry April - BUT...COME TO FIJI INSTEAD!!!! :)

I guess I can understand if you would rather go to Hawaii since it's much closer...but I'm getting very homesick and would love visitors right about now, or any other time for that matter... So maybe they can fly you to Fiji instead? (I can book you a room under a local rate!)

apriljahns said...

If it weren't a 28 hour flight or a $3500 flight per person (rate is probably higher because it is so soon) I would LOVE to come visit you. But for the price of half of one ticket we got airfare and a nice resort to stay in Waikiki.