Saturday, June 13, 2009

Getting Reacquainted

When there is no e-mail and Facebook has lost its appeal what's an insomniac to do? That's right. Watch TV.

But lo, TiVo doesn't know me anymore. I flipped on the boob tube to see what was playing live and there was Montel Williams selling his own juicer. I don't understand celebrities hawking wares with their names plastered all over them. Well, that's not entirely true. The George Foreman Grill did seem to be a stand alone product in its heydey. I don't recall there being a lot of similar products out there. But a juicer/blender? Really? The market seems to be flooded with expensive blenders that do everything for you short of grow the tomatoes and carrots for you. They make will everything from sorbet to hot soup. What does Motel Williams have that is so revolutionary and new that it warrants creating a whole new line?

I digress... there was nothing on the tube so I flipped over to TiVo to see what we had recorded. There was just some news and late night shows. No thanks. Then I went to TiVo suggestions where there is usually a treasure trove of crime shows. Law and Order (pick one: the original, Criminal Intent or SVU), CSI (only the original, thank you) and Without a Trace were the standard ones that TiVo recorded.

TiVo died while we were on vacation so Ryan had to put in a new hard drive. That means all of our preferences were gone. TiVo doesn't know us. We are a blank canvas to TiVo. There are no more home improvement shows in the suggestions, no more crime shows, no more Friends or Seinfeld.

What am I supposed to do when tossing and turning, playing Hearts on the Nintendo DS, e-mail and Facebook fail to put me back to sleep? There is so much time with so little to do. Well... there is a lot to do but I don't think Ryan and Gavin would appreciate me vacuuming, doing laundry, cleaning the bathroom or cleaning the kitchen at 5 am.

What's a girl to do?

I'll tell ya what this girl did. After reading the an e-mail from a man who has shown interest in buying our dining room table and chairs I was pretty worked up. The man offered an extra $20 for me to take the listing down right away as he was going to send me a cashier's check and have movers come to pick up the table and chairs.

Do any of you use craigslist? What is the one warning that is always in big red bold caps with every e-mail generated from craigslist? DO NOT ACCEPT CASHIERS CHECKS!!! IT'S A SCAM!!!

I told the jerk that I'm no fool and we are accepting cash only. Then I followed a link from craigslist to the FTC where I filed a complaint. Part of me thought I shouldn't file the complaint in the off chance the guy is legit but then I read his first e-mail that read, "Is your posted item still available?" And to make it even more fishy the text was greyed out at the bottom of the screen - almost like it was a signature.

Stupid jerk.

Well, looky here. My own writing is putting me back to sleep. But my adorable son is in his crib. All 3 stuffed animals and his blankie have been tossed out of the crib per his usual waking routine. That gives me just a minute to wrap this up before he starts getting vocal in his demand to be taken out. I swear he is waking up earlier and earlier every day.

No comments: