Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Paper or Plastic (or Both)?

I was at Safeway yesterday for a little respite (yes, I went grocery shopping when Ryan got home from work so I could have a little alone time). The actual shopping was uneventful. It's just shopping after all.

At checkout as I was putting my groceries on the conveyor belt I told the checker that I wanted paper, please. It seems the checkers don't ask paper or plastic like the used to so I pipe up before they have a chance to shove everything in plastic.

I looked up from the credit card machine and noticed the checker was putting the groceries in paper bags but the paper bag was inside a plastic bag.

What a complete waste. Why on earth ask for paper if you know they are going to give you paper bags and plastic bags? Safeway's paper bags are thin flimsy things without handles so they need the plastic bag to keep the groceries from falling out of the bottom of the bag.

Stupid Safeway. Why can't they just provide decent paper bags?

1 comment:

Swell said...

I'm finally able to catch up on your blog - yay :)

You should consider getting reusable bags that you can bring with you or just leave a few in the car. I like the Trader Joe's ones, I'm sure you've seen those around. They even have insulated ones that keeps your cold stuff nice and cool until you get home. I know it takes getting used to (you'll forget like 100 times before you get used to bringing them), but it might be worth the try...