Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Security

Holding your baby at bedtime is special.  It isn't like holding him on the living room floor, or at the doctor's office or in line at the grocery store.  No.  Holding your baby at bedtime when he is peaceful, warm, secure, still, and contentedly sucking on his pacifier is so gratifying. 
I was just down stairs putting Theo to bed for the evening.  Or the next 3 hours.  As I sat on the bed and gently rocked him, the same boy who five minutes prior was a wiggly screaming little thing, I looked into his eyes which were looking somewhere past me.  Everything about his posture said, "I feel safe.  There is no place I would rather be."  I leaned over and breathed deep, hoping to breath in long enough and hard enough to forever remember that sweet baby smell.  As my cheek touched his and I gave him little kisses on his cheek his eyes closed.  He was the very image of all things peaceful. 

No amount of money could convince Theo to leave my arms.  No special toys or treats.  He is in a special, unspoiled phase where he doesn't know the excitement of new toys, the sweetness of candy, the false promise money holds to happiness. 

As I was holding him I was trying to think of all of the things I would jump out of bed for - and to me sleep leads to peace.  Lovely, lovely peace.

Stacey London and Clinton Kelly from TLC's "What Not To Wear" offering me $5,000 in exchange for my current wardrobe. 

Done.

Peter Walsh, organizing guru, offering to straighten out my house and help me (and Ryan) purge. 

Done.

A meal cooked by Tom Douglas - complete with dessert, of course.

Done. 

Oh, wait.  I suppose we could just go to the Dahlia Lounge and pay for it. 

Done. 

Maybe Ryan and I should consider the Dahlia Lounge for our anniversary dinner date.  We are not high brow diners - we save our one big spendy meal for our anniversary. 

I'm hungry. 

A massage by... just about anyone.  Well, professional, that is.  Creeps need not apply. 

Does all of this say I don't value sleep and peace or that I'm hungry and in need of a new wardrobe?

No comments: