Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bye Bye Swing

Last night was Gavin's last night in the swing. Ryan noticed he was listing in the cradle this morning; he tries to sit up then kind of flops over to the side. I'm afraid he will pitch out of it even though he's strapped in. I was kind of afraid of what this evening held for bedtime since he would have to go down in his pack 'n play - a large flat immobile surface without lights or music. At first he smiled and 'talked' in the pack 'n play and kicked his feet and squirmed from side to side but once we turned out the lights he fussed for a few minutes then he fell right to sleep.

Next we will have to buy a crib but I'm not ready for him to sleep in his room. I really like having him with us in our room. So the pack 'n play will have to work for now.

There was another first tonight. Rice cereal! Woo-hoo! I called his doctor to ask if he could start solids because he quit sleeping through the night. At first I thought he was waking up because of the teething but I don't think that's the case since he wakes up, eats and goes right back to sleep without any fuss. Well, that's not completely true. As I lay him down he lets out one half hearted cry but as soon as his body hit the contoured shape of the swings cradle it was lights out.

So the doc said rice cereal and applesauce, nothing else. I had to run to Rite Aid to buy new nipples for the bottles because we only have the slow flow nipples that certainly wouldn't allow rice through. Oh, I just realized we should have moved up in nipple flow size when he turned three months old. Oops.

When I was standing in the baby aisle staring at the bottle and nipples I realized I didn't know which one to buy and which brand would be compatible with our bottles so I called Crina as Alexandra is a couple of months older than Gavin and she would know which one I should buy. Crina wasn't home. I bought the fast flow bottle with the cross cut instead of hole.

After preparing the bottle with the rice I gave it to Gavin. Man, was he ever squirmy and demanding with the bottle. Sheesh! I've never seen him chew on the nipple like that before. Normally he just guzzles the milk.

A couple of minutes went by before I put the bottle right side up and saw that he hadn't swallowed even a drop. The crosscut nipple didn't wasn't big enough for the rice/milk mixture to go through. Thank God for sippy cups. I went and fished out a sippy cup from the bin of future eating utensils for Gavin and he got his first rice cereal and his first sippy cup on the same night.

Now he just needs to sleep until 7:40 am since he went to bed at 9:40 pm. Please, please, please let him sleep until morning. Please.

No comments: