Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cabo, not so much Wabo

Before it is completely gone from my immediate memory I should write a bit about our vacation in Cabo San Lucas.
We stayed at the Riu Sante Fe, an all inclusive joint. When we arrived Ryan checked to see if there were any ocean view rooms available for an upgrade. There were not but there was a pool view room on the third floor that we could have for no additional charge.
Sweet!
Or so we thought.
The view was spectacular. We were smack dab in the middle of the courtyard overlooking the main pool and the beautiful grounds and since we spent a lot of time on our balcony we really took advantage of the view.
You know how in some countries the first floor is not counted? First floor is ground zero and the second floor is considered the first floor? Well, that's how it was in Mexico. Our third floor room was actually on the fourth floor. Bid deal you say.
I'll tell you what the big deal is: there were no elevators!
Walking four flights of stairs is normally not a big deal and I would normally enjoy the opportunity get some exercise versus taking the elevator.
Two factors changed my perspective on the absence of an elevator being a negative thing. One: we had head colds. All three of us. Huffing and puffing up and down four flights of stairs in the arid desert air was not exactly what the doctor ordered for swollen and irritated nasal passages. Two: we had Gavin. Gavin is portable in that he goes where we go because we carry him. He doesn't walk. We are at the point where we are glad he doesn't walk yet but oh, man. Carrying an 18 pound baby up and down four flights of stairs in the the dry, dry desert air while you have a cold does not make one feel any better.
The good thing about having a cold on vacation is that it really cuts down on indulgences. Why sample every dessert when you can't taste it? Why eat the bacon wrapped whatever when you could just as well have the slice of ham and side of rice?
There was evening entertainment but we did not partake in those activities because Gavin was in bed by 7:30 at the latest every night. Vacation was a good introduction for us into the world of early bird dinner specials. : )
A little over half way through our vacation the people in the room next to us had a fight. I don't mean a slightly heated argument I mean a knock down, drag out fight. We arrived back at our room after eating an early dinner when we heard people yelling in the room. We rolled our eyes at each other and went into our room. Ryan hopped in the shower. The fighting became louder and louder. Finally I called the front desk and asked for security to come up. At one point the man in the other room screamed so loud that I could feel it reverberate in my chest and in the walls. It almost echoed it was so loud. This time I stepped outside of the room and heard something being thrown around and a woman crying. Then it went silent. Then I heard a man crying. I heard him saying, "Anna? Anna? Anna?"
In my head he just killed her. So I retreat back to my room and call the security again. Anna was however alive because Ryan saw her trying to leave the room and her boyfriend trying to pull her back in. Ryan yelled at the guy and some other dudes from down the hall came out and the boyfriend retreated into his room. The dudes made sure Anna was OK and told us the room they were in should there be more trouble later on. We urged Anna to come into our room to collect herself.
Anna came in our room and sat down on the floor and cried. I gave her a hug and sat there with her. She was in a state of shock. She said she is always the one who gets girlfriends out of these kinds of relationships, she is never the one... She is such a nice, beautiful girl who has such a big heart that I bet she stayed in the relationship even though she said she was going to leave. If she is always trying to fix her girlfriends and to save them then why wouldn't she try to 'fix' her boyfriend? I hope I'm wrong.
She stayed with us for about an hour until she figured her boyfriend had passed out from being drunk. We told her she didn't have to leave and that the hotel would probably help her find another room for the night since she was leaving the next day anyway.
I saw her the next morning walking back to her room; a few paces ahead of her was her boyfriend. We exchanged near silent hellos and she immediately put her eyes to the floor.
That was the real excitement of the trip. Excitement we could have done without but I think we handled ourselves and that situation well.
The rest of the trip we did pretty much what we did the first half of the trip: eat, swim, nap, eat, sleep. I was able to finish my book on vaccinations that my doctor recommended but I didn't get far with any other reading. There was still a lot of work to be done with Gavin.
My plan is to post some pictures of him swimming later in the week when I'm at my mother's-in-law's house. Too bad we don't have many pictures of the poolside bars. Those are so much fun! I enjoyed swimming up to the bar and ordering my virgin daiquiri or virgin pina colada although the bar stools (submerged under water) were so slick that I would often slide right off. People probably thought I was cutting myself off when they heard me order my virgin drinks.
As much fun as a swim up bar is it just seems like a really bad idea. Swimming is dangerous enough when everyone in the water is sober but you throw booze into the picture it takes everything up a notch, or down, depending on how you look at it. I bet one is much more likely to win a Darwin award after drinking than one would if one were sober.

No comments: