Monday, September 08, 2008

FINALLY

In the evenings after Gavin goes to bed you can usually find me on-line writing, reading, surfing the web in general. Lately I have been attempting to make a photobook. There are so many sites and they all send me coupons that are really specific.

Free shipping! for new customers on first order

45% off all orders! on all orders $100 or more

Save $25! when you buy an 8x12 book with premium leather cover


Save $50! for new customers on first order of 8x12 book with premium leather cover that total is greater than $200


For weeks now I have been attempting to make a photo book for Grandparents Day. Yes, there is a holiday for Grandparents - it's this weekend so sorry, grandparents, your photo books are going to be late. But don't blame me - blame snapfish and picaboo and Costco but mostly snapfish.


I have a feeling the problem isn't 100% Snapfish; I just may have a bit to do with the problem. Shocking, I know.

After spending hours upon hours upon hours uploading all of my photos from the external hard drive - and I mean all photos, starting with the digitals ones going back to 1999 - I then start to experiment with the kind of book I wanted to make while keeping it within my budget (3 sets of grandparents plus one aunt who is like a grandmother to Ryan - it adds up).

It took me a while but I got the hang of how to make a book. I was able to select the photos, arrange them and wa-la, a book was made! Now that the book was made the only step left in the long drawn out exhausting, tear inducing process was to pay for it.

All I had to do was pay for the stupid book. Enter in my credit card information and click 'submit'.

I'm a smart cookie. I entered my credit card number, expiration date, secret code, all of my billing information then I took a deep breath and was ready to be done with the making of this book and clicked on 'submit'.

A message in red lettering pops up on the screen telling me that they could not process my credit card. I double checked the information and resubmitted it only to have the same annoying message pop up and scream at me. (Red lettering is equal to screaming).

After checking the number again I took a closer look to the the icons next to the credit card number field. Visa, American Express, Something Else and Something Else.

Do you know what was missing? MasterCard!

Snapfish doesn't take MasterCard!

I was livid! How dare Snapfish not take my one and only credit card? Why isn't there a huge disclaimer that pops up BEFORE you make a photobook that all of your time will be a colossal waste of time if you happen to have a MasterCard.


******

Here it is a week later. The books are done; I think I used Shutterfly, shutterfish, shuttersomething. It went just fine. They cost a little more but if I would have started with them it would have been so much easier.

Does anyone out there have a company they like for photo printing and the like?

6 comments:

Sara Jayne said...

Hello,

My name is Sara Hawley and I work at Snapfish. I am a Level 2 Customer Support Representative. I recently read your blog describing your recent experience using the Snapfish site. I am so sorry to hear that you ran across problems with your credit card. I would like to take a moment to let you know that we do take Mastercard and it is the first icon next to the credit card field. We do hope that you will give our site a try again. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at sara.hawley@hp.com.

Thank you.

apriljahns said...

That made me laugh out loud. Not seeing the first icon is something I would do. I'll have to go back and take an even closer look even though I checked and checked and re-checked. My sleep deprived eyes must have glossed over the Mastercard icon.

Anonymous said...

I like Mpix for photos and My Publisher for books. That's what we recommend at work.

Did that customer service person really read your blog? That's kinda creepy!

-Heidi

apriljahns said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Heidi.
I do wonder if the customer service person's job is to troll the internet looking for negative feedback or if she ran across my blog randomly.

Unknown said...

Wow, crazy that a Snapfish rep read your blog! That would actually not be a bad job to have...just to look at ppl's blogs all day and get paid to do it! :)

Since I have a Mac I use the service they provide and it is wonderful. I love the quality of the photobooks. How did you like Shutterfly's end product?

Nicole

apriljahns said...

eh. I bought the super basic flip book. It has an opaque cover and is bound by a clear plastic spiral spine. The photos are fine but it looks a tad chintzy so I'm going to pony up a little more next time and hopefully get a better product.