Thursday, September 18, 2008

You Can Move to Seattle Now

The storm has passed and it is now safe to move to Seattle. The storm was, of course, my temper tantrum over the less than stellar weather we were having. The clouds parted and the sun shone brightly again on Seattle turning it into the sparkling gem we all love and adore.

Today felt like the first day of Autumn. It was gray all day and the air had a cool bite to it but that's ok because we were given a few good summery days. My arms are open and ready to accept the rainy and blustery days ahead.

Fall is actually one of my favorite seasons. I have so many fond memories of overcast, wet Autumn weekends as a child. Mom would take us to the neighborhood club and we would go swimming for hours and walk home with wet hair and to warm us up mom would make hot cocoa and we would bake cookies. Instead of a fence we had a long row of arbor vitae in the back yard that created a lush green appearance in our back yard. The green grass was bordered by the green arbor vitae and was partially canopied by towering Evergreen trees; the back yard positively glowed green.

That glowing backyard and the plains are two of the things I miss about Vancouver. I didn't think seeing flat lands would be something I missed until I came up to Seattle, built on hills and in valleys and in the shadows of two mountain ranges. It is nice to be able to see beyond your nose sometimes.

I miss the Columbia River Gorge and the beautiful hikes to be had there. Sure, there are lots of places to hike up here but that would involve going out and looking for them. I had a friend in Vancouver who was always up for a drive to the Gorge, actually she was the one doing the calling and urging.

This post is being interrupted by a crying and I suspect hungry baby. I'll write part two tomorrow. Or not. I'll write it when I write it.

2 comments:

Matt and Crina said...

Waterfal hopping in the Fall! Ah, the Gorge with its unsurpasing beauty on a glorious autumn day, with the sun rays dancing across the way, but not scorcing, with the colored leaves paving the way, but not muddy! The smell of fresh water over the rocks of Wahkeenah Falls! The drive on the Old Historic Hwy from Blue Lake, passing by the Vista House, onto the Multhnomah Falls, and Bridal Vail stop for a quick picnic on the blanket!

You make me want to drive back at my first oppotunity and day off work!!!

apriljahns said...

You did a good job of making me want to come down and join you. (I'm not, so don't ask). : ) I love you, Crina!