Friday, September 19, 2008

You Can Move to Seattle, Part II

I don't think I have much more to say about moving to Seattle but I said I would write part II of the post so, here I am writing...

When you do move to Seattle you can visit the Bal Mar in Ballard. My friend Krissy just celebrated her big Three-oh with friends at the Bal Mar; we went there this time last year, too and I remember it quite vividly because it was a warmish day and I was pregnant and none to happy about my state of ginormousness (no, it's not a word - yet) nor was I pleased that I could not enjoy one of their super cool cocktails, one of which is I'm a gimlet that I recall Krissy ordered.

Two other girlfriends who celebrated the big Two-nine with Krissy last year enjoyed cocktails are now in the other camp: Camp Preggo. I am SO happy I'm not in that camp right now. I can walk, I can eat brie, I can sleep (Gavin permitting), I can go more than 90 minutes without running to the bathroom to pee, I can breath (I really took breathing for granted before being pregnant).

Tonight I tried I'm a gimlet. I don't know what a gimlet is or why I would want to be one but the drink sure is tasty. It's like a mojito minus the sweetness. Yum. It's a tad strong, though and of course it was made even stronger by my empty stomach. So, word to the wise: eat first, drink second. But, really, who doesn't know that?

*****

I've been on Beacon Hill almost three years now. It's hard to believe that so much time has elapsed here. The house feels like home but the neighborhood doesn't give me a homey vibe. I know my neighbors and they are nice but it's not the same as West Seattle. This is definitely a neighborhood in transition. There isn't much to do up here although there are more places within walking distance than in our old neighborhood. There are three coffee shops, a library, and a smattering of places to eat that all close early and aren't really places where you would feel comfortable inviting friends and hanging out at.

As of November 1st I will have lived in Seattle for 7 years. SEVEN! Can you believe that? It's hard to believe that I've been up here half as long as I lived in Vancouver (14 years). Seattle is becoming my third home. Ryan and I were driving past a cemetery the other day and I told him that if I went before him he would have to spread my ashes in three places.

At Sunset Beach in Coos Bay (technically it's in Charleston) because my dad is buried in Coos Bay, in the Columbia River in Vancouver because that is where I spent the bulk of my growing up years and in the Puget Sound because that is where I'm at now. He balked not at the idea of me dying (because we were talking way out in the future) but at the idea of having to drive me in ashen form to Coos Bay and Vancouver. I often joke that it is a miracle that Ryan dated me while I was in Vancouver and he was in Seattle because he hates driving that much. He really loved me to drive almost 3 hours to see me.

So, here my wishes are in writing although I really doubt this blog will be in existence or if blogs period will be in existence in 60 or 7o years when I kick it. 70 years. I would be 101. Gavin would be 71! That's crazy! OK, I can't think about this anymore. I don't want to think about my little guy who is turning one next month as a 70 year old; it makes me sad to know that he is growing each day and turning into such a little boy. Of course, I would be really sad if he wasn't growing and developing.

What do you know? This post is being interrupted by a crying baby. I'm kind of glad he is waking up because I went out tonight and didn't get to kiss him good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seattle sounds like a very pretty and charming place to live!

Crina

Anonymous said...

Okay, Seattle sounds great again! Thanks for the 2 post encouragement.

This week is a perfect 80 degrees for the next 3 days here...it's feeling like fall! Really, it feels like fall since the humidity has finally left. Too bad I'm leaving and going to Romania where it will be more like NW weather...

Anyways, wishing you a great fall :)

Nicole