Saturday, October 13, 2007

Lazy Day - or so was my plan

Poor Ryan is at work today; Saturday. He's going to put in a full day. We are going to (maybe) go look at one last carpet sample tonight then order it.

Tomorrow we are going to play Christian and go to church. Our attendance has been so spotty that I feel parched. I know one does not have to go to church to be in God's presence but it is so nice to have the community and fellowship; not to mention the worship (of the music variety). We are going to give the new Union church a whirl that our church planted in the South Lake Union area. It's much smaller than our home base congregation but that's not saying much - most churches are smaller as UPC has a membership base of 3,000-ish people. With that big number people think it's a 'mega-church' but it really isn't.

The pastor, Earl Palmer, is down to earth even though he does at times seem to have his head in the clouds. He is such a great story teller and gives fascinating lectures but we are looking for more of a sermon than a biblical history lesson. There have been times when Earl has 'laid down the law' from the pulpit and actually has given an opinion or two but that is rare. I kind of appreciate his lack of political statements from the pulpit. Politics can be so polarizing; it's refreshing that he does not waiver from biblical truths and and is able to keep a diverse congregation focused on the things of Christ without turning his position of influence into just that - a position to influence his flock so to speak to do his bidding at the polls.

After I took Ryan to work I returned home and went for a long walk to Galaxie Espresso. They really do have great coffee. I sat there and sipped my delicious single short non-fat latte with beautiful foam art and read through eat.shop seattle to see what they had to say about the places to go in Seattle and especially my neck of the woods, Beacon Hill.

From there I walked back towards my house and stopped at Despi's bakery as I was on the prowl for an iced sugar cookie but they only had chocolate chip. I settled on a maple bar. They really should make those smaller.

Now I'm off to Queen Anne for a bang trim since I want to get it done before the baby arrives.

******

So much for plans.

This weekend is the semi-annual Let's-see-how-much-closer-highway-99-is-to-collapsing check up. I forgot. The fastest, easiest way for me to get to Queen Anne is to cut through part of downtown and hop on 99. I saw the signs throughout the week that gave clear, advance notice that 99 was going to be shut down this weekend.

I completely forgot. It came flooding back to me when I saw the orange cones being set up by crew in orange vests as they shut off access to the on-ramp I wanted. Poo.

Instead of snaking my way to I-5 and trying to figure out a completely new path to a familiar destination (read: I only know how to get from point A to point B on fixed routes - change the route and I get lost).

On my way back home Ryan called and asked me to pick him up from work so I turned back around and headed toward downtown. What should have taken maybe 3 minutes took over 20 minutes because of the highway closure. It would have taken longer but I was able to cut up to a less congested path and make my way to his office. Being stuck in traffic on a weekend seems worse than on a weekday.

After spending 10 minutes at home we went to Home Depot where we spent the next several hours looking at paint and picking out paint, and looking at carpet and not ordering carpet but writing down every detail we could to see if our carpet connection could get it for us any cheaper and picking out pavers for a new window well.

Good times.

At the 3 hour mark my back had enough so I went to their book section and sat in a swivel chair that is for people who want to apply to the H.D. At Lowe's I usually go sit in their garden/out door furniture section but Home Depot doesn't have that.

So how does Apple Crisp, Whisper Yellow, Asparagus, Chocolate Brown and Creamy White sound? Lame? Yeah, I know. We are painting the downstairs Apple Crisp (kind of a terra cotta/carmel color) and Whisper Yellow (a light buttery yellow) with Creamy White trim and a Creamy White ceiling.

Jr.s room, if we have time, will be Asparagus on the upper 2/3 of the wall and Chocolate Brown on the lower 1/3 - the colors will be separated by chair rail. If either of us had more time (or artistic talent) I would make the border between the two colors an argyle pattern. That would be so cool. But it's so not going to happen.

Our carpet connection didn't call us and he didn't pick up when we called him so we will try again tomorrow. I'll call before church and after church and in the evening if I have to. If none of that works, I don't know what to do.

At least we got the paint and it's ready to go for Monday. : ) Ryan and I taped and draped everything we don't want to clean up after the texture goes on tomorrow. Although I've been pleased with how quickly the drywallers are putting up the drywall I've been a perturbed by the mess. I know it's a messy job but the mud is everywhere, on windows, window screens, in electrical outlets, on the toilet, on cabinets, on the stereo.... everywhere. It can be easy enough to chip off once it dries but I don't want to chip it off an electrical outlet... I'll need to find a plastic spatula for that job.

No comments: