Tuesday, June 03, 2008

S**T Happens

A friend recently had a post on her blog titled Spit Happens about her baby. This one is about the pooh, and I ain't talkin' of the Winnie variety.

Oh the wonderful places one can poo. One can poo in one's diaper. One can poo while taking a bath, while riding in the car, while eating dinner (or breakfast or lunch for that matter). But where is the best place of all to poo? The car, of course.

You gotta love babies, they are pretty transparent. Red face? Flared nostrils? Grunting? All signs are a go for a poo job.

This afternoon I picked up Ryan from work and we headed to Renton to buy a crib from Ikea and to kill two birds with one stone Ryan stopped by an office of some contractors he just worked with to hand out his business cards and spread the word that he's on his own now and available for hire...


So, Gavin and I waited in the car. The sun was shining and the wind blowing so I opened a door and we enjoyed the sunshine and breeze until a brazen bee charged me. The menacing thing flew right at me as I sat there trapped - to leave the car meant going past the bee that was blocking my exit. I threw my jacket at it but it was undeterred, it flew back and sat on the door jamb. This time he left enough room for me to get by, but just enough. I hopped out of the car and thought of slamming the door shut and squishing the bee but thought better of it. What if the bee flew inside the car before the door shut? It would be bee vs. baby and I think it would be a lose lose situation since Gavin would try eating the bee if he could get his hands on it. The bee made the situation easy, it flew away.

Gavin was getting fussy (red face, flared nostrils, grunting) so I took him out of his car seat. It was at that time I heard an explosion only rivaled by Mt. St. Helen's 28 years ago. This called for an immediate diaper change so I grabbed the diaper bag.


Uh-oh.

No wipes.


No changing pad.

I called Ryan and asked him to bring some wet paper towels with him when he returned to the car.


I laid my windbreaker on top of the blanket we keep in the car for the dog to lie on in the cargo area and laid Gavin on top of that. It was at that time I noticed my hand was wet. I sat Gavin up and peered over his back to see.... poo. Lots and lots of poo.

Apparently when I sat him down it forced everything up and out of his diaper. It was on his shirt, his pants and my jacket.


I cleaned him up the best I could and when Ryan came out we had a semi-clean naked baby in the back of the in the middle of the parking lot. Good times. I'm glad it was warm out. So is Gavin.

Fortunately we did have a change of clothes for the little guy and fortunately for me there were bathrooms I could use to scrub my hands. Don't want poopy hands touching baby furniture at Ikea, now do we?

******

We found a crib we could live with at Ikea. It was pretty simple, white, converts to a toddler bed. Great. What we couldn't find was the crib in the warehouse area. It was out of stock but coming in next week sometime. Lame.


We want a crib NOW not next week. We want Gavin sleeping in his own room NOW not next week so our next stop was Babies 'R Us. Ryan found a beautiful crib by Babi Italia for only $229. That is a steal for a beautiful crib by a good manufacturer. The only bummer was that we left our 15% off coupon at home and I would have to go back the next day and buy it. A helpful sales associate was trying to figure out a way we could take it home today and bring the coupon in later for a refund of the price difference. It was while she was doing this she looked the crib up and saw that it was out of stock. It was out of stock in the entire Puget Sound region and there was no indication of when the next shipment was going to come in!!!

We returned home very dejected. I got back on Craigslist to look for cribs. My main beef with cribs off Craigslist is that you have to ask each and every person for more information about their cribs because the post never gives all of the information you need, like year it was bought, manufacturer and model. The basics to see if it has been recalled.


I did find a lovely crib, however. It was recalled but the replacement parts have been put on it and it is safe. I have an e-mail out to the owner telling her I want to buy it tomorrow. Hopefully she will call me and we can get the crib and be done with all of this.

Someone lent us their crib but it's missing some parts and is going to take a couple of weeks to have the parts shipped to us so we decided to bite the bullet and just pony up for a crib. Now Ryan has to disassemble the crib as far as he was able to get and put in the basement for my friend to pick up and we have to return the cradle to my father-in-law who built it (it goes to each grandchild to use) so we can have room for the new crib. The cradle is great but Gavin only slept in it for about a month before he started sleeping in the swing then our bed. That little dude has gone from cradle to swing to co-sleeper to our bed to pack 'n play. The crib will be the sixth stop in sleeping arrangements for him.

And now before I shower and go to bed I have to go finish the applesauce that I started yesterday for my moms group. We all are making something to share and I volunteered to make applesauce. All I have to do now is puree the lumpy apples I cooked last night in the leaky blender we have been thinking about getting rid of for a couple of years now.

I'm so tired, the keys on the keyboard are getting harder and harder to press down on. I need to go to bed earlier and Gavin needs to stop waking up every two hours. Little turkey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We looked at cribs at IKEA as well, but they told us that because they were european size mattresses the american sheets won't fit them. Eeek! That was a big problem for us since we had spent an unbelievable amount of money on a matching nursery set!

-Matt

apriljahns said...

Maybe Ikea hires former IRS employees or the other way around since we were told the mattresses are standard US sizes.