Monday, February 25, 2008

10 days and counting

It is 9:31 and Gavin is asleep. Ryan is upstairs watching the boob tube and I'm down here writing this. I originally came downstairs to throw wash a load of diapers and to dredge up a recipe for lemon liqueur. But to do the laundry I have to walk by the office with the computer. I can't just leave after starting the laundry. I have to check my e-mail; then Facebook, then of course see if anyone left a comment on my blog.

Some friends had us over for dinner the other night. Their house was so incredibly clean even in the midst of their remodel that it made Ryan and I realize that we are just messy, messy people. We always have an excuse. First it was the remodel of the kitchen. Then it was the remodel of the basement. Now it is the baby. Actually, the house is cleaner now that we have Gavin than when we didn't have him. The mess we have now is usually baskets of clean laundry in the living room along with the exersaucer, bouncy chair, car seat, basket of diapers and wipes and my breast feeding pillow.

I am holding out hope that the house will soon be clean. Well, it is clean if we are talking about germs. I do clean and dust and wash up. We are not so good with being tidy or getting rid of stuff we don't use/need/want. Since we brought all of our stuff back from storage we have purged a car load of stuff. I even convinced Ryan to get rid of the fake ivy that he had in the kitchen at the old house. A lesser wife would have tossed it when he wasn't looking. I was very tempted to be a lesser wife.

The other day I went through one of the many boxes that I have to go through and found all of our framed pictures and realized I don't really like all of the frames and the pictures are old. I'm going to take all of the pictures out and get rid of the frames. One box down a million boxes to go.

When am I going to find time to go through all of the boxes you ask? Well, how about in the evenings when Gavin is asleep? Yep. The little cutie patootie has decided he should sleep through the night. We are on day 10 of sleeping through the night!

Rest is amazing! It does a body good - and a disposition. Each day as I climb out of my sleep deficit I am less and less grouchy. I am not looking for a fight, not thinking disparaging thoughts of the dolt who cut me off (well, maybe disparaging but not vengeful). Hallelujah!

Back to the dinner with the friends. After dinner we sat around the living room chatting, playing with our uber cute baby and one of the friends piped up and said she didn't get blogging. It was lame. She didn't say it was lame but it was not at all an unrealistic conclusion to draw from her statements about it as they were coupled with her sour-ish facial expressions. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ryan motioning with his hand across his neck like, "stop" then he pointed at me and made some typing motions. I thought it was funny.

What I thought was even funnier is when she said she could understand blogging because we have a baby. They have friends who have blogs who post pictures of their babies. I could have let it go but I was having fun. I told her I had the blog long before Gavin was born but I didn't tell her that I don't post pictures all that frequently. (You will just have to deal with my lack of picture posting, people).

I don't expect everyone to enjoy blogging nor do I expect everyone to enjoy reading another's blog but how anyone could not enjoy reading mine is beyond me. Ask my husband, he might know. He doesn’t read it (boo). To be fair he knows everything I write about so to him it would be torture to read about something he experienced already or I told him about since he can't stand to hear a story more than once.

That makes me curious about something. How is it that he can not remember a book he read or movie he saw, or some of our dates (or which date he took to which restaurant -that's always fun) but he can remember every story I ever told him?

What's not entertaining about crying babies, infected boobs, homeless people ringing your door bell in the middle of the night and dirty diapers? C'mon! It doesn't get any better than this. Well, I think Swell & Sheepie's blog is the best. (See the link on my home page).

Tomorrow is going to be a fun day. First I go see Dr. Fiala - the best doctor in all of West Seattle. Aw, shucks, the best in all of Seattle. She really is great. My feet have been bothering me for a long time. Since before I was pregnant. But then when I was pregnant a lot of the foot stuff seemed pretty well linked to the weight gain and ever fun water retention.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about the feet because it is a boring subject. The reason I bring it up is because the outcome of the visit may be my undoing.

Last week I went to a new restaurant called Shadow Lands in West Seattle with Heidi and Krissy. Heidi is crazy. She is crazy because she runs. Last year she ran the New York marathon. Now she "just" runs half marathons. She looked at Krissy and me and said, "You have time to train for the half marathon in September."

Krissy and my response, "Ha! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha *gasp* ha ha ha ha ha"!

Heidi is not one to give up so easily so I said, "I will if Krissy does." I said that knowing full well Krissy would never in a million years say yes. Krissy is the one person I know who hates exercise more than me.

What do I know? Krissy's 30th birthday is right around the time of the half marathon and she think that it might be a neat thing to do.

Gyar!

Since Krissy caught me off guard I had to think of something fast! "My knees are bad", I said. "My feet have been hurting me", I offered up weakly. So, I'm off to see the doctor about my feet to see what's up with them and to see if running is a safe exercise for me or not.

Having said all of that about exercise and hating it I am trying to convince Ryan we should join the gym. I could pick him up after work and we would plop the G with the gym's babysitter and we could go exercise. And during the day if I needed a break I could go to the gym and swim or hang out in the sauna. I think he likes the idea because he hates the bus he takes to work since it is really crowded and smelly.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Of course I am in support of you doing the half. I can join you! If you need help in "training" I can push G in the jogger while you run. Heck I will watch him for you while you go to the gym.
Let me know how the Dr. appointment goes. Miss you

apriljahns said...

I know I can count on your support Jenn. You are a great crusader for the running community - running after us non runners. : )
I miss you, too. Maybe we can get together on Monday or your next day when you are trapped with the three kiddos. : )