Saturday, February 02, 2008

Kodak Moments

It is time to have some professional pictures of The Gavinator. There are two routes one can take. We can go to the department store and get perfectly good photos and sheets of pictures to hand out to aunts, uncles and grandparents or we can go to a studio and get perfectly good photos that also include a CD from which we can make all the prints we could possibly want.

The major difference is price. The department store studios have all sorts of specials and coupons and after reading the fine print I settled on JC Pennys as you can select the size of the pictures on the sheets that you want and you can purchase a sheet for only $4 or you can get the whole package for $8 (the one that includes all of the wallets and even smaller photos that no one actually uses but to shove in a Christmas card that the occasional aunt will tack to a cork board). Woo-hoo. No minimum purchase and no sitting fee. But you get one pose and only as many pictures as you buy. No CDs here.

If you go the studio route you can get a CD from which you can make all the prints you want either at home or through a professional printing service for just under $200. And when going through the studio you usually get all of the pictures taken not just the one pose that you liked best.

Should we go the economical route and save the studio sessions for milestones like the yearly photos?

There is a local photographer I really like. He came to my former office to take business portraits last summer. Check out his website: alanmartsphotography.com. He does the portraits but also doctors photos and makes some surreal looking images. I e-mailed him to get his package rates aside from his hourly cost. I am hoping a CD is included with the hourly rate. If that's the case it would be less money than the kiddie kandids at Babies 'R Us.

Quick poll: How many of you keep and/or display photos that family and friends send to you? Do any of you keep the Christmas photos that everyone and their dog (or of their dog) sends out? I will not shed tears, not even one, if you throw out our family Christmas photo on December 26th. I may shed a tear if you tossed it immediately after opening it unless it arrived after Christmas, of course. If you would answer the poll question that is to the left of this post I would really appreciate it.

4 comments:

Matt and Crina said...

We do JC Penny, but the 'other' deal coupon they have: $4/ pose unlimitted. The $8 deals sounds pretty good to us, but you can choose only one pose. We get 10 different ones for $40. Who-hoo! We do that every month on her birthday for the first year. We can afford that, but there is no CD with it. A CD would be nice! But for us, we thought that she is growing so fast every month, we like to see the change in her book. If we would have the CD, for us, we would get pictures off of it at that particular age only.

I will have to check out that guys' web page. Tomorrow.

If you get proffesional pix done, I want to see them!!!!
You still need to put up a picture of your haircut!

Swell said...

While I put up pictures on our fridge, I save all the Christmas card ones with the Christmas decorations after displaying them during the Christmas season - then I actually do put them up again the following year.

I think having professional pictures done at milestones would be great, and being his first "photo shoot", I guess you may consider it a milestone.

JC Penny would seem to be hit and miss. I guess it depends what you're looking for...something artsy that you can enlarge and display or just any picture will do. Because you'd think the professional guy would do an amazing photo shoot (at least you'd hope!) but the JC Penny would just try to get standard poses...which is fine, as long as that what you're looking for...unless you get a really, really good photographer at JC Penny. I think it's really worth paying a professional if you want something different/extra special.

Anonymous said...

I display mine around the house, fridge and fireplace mantle. I like pictures of the families and such. After the season is done, the ones I like I keep on the side of the fridge for the rest of the year, the rest go in a round box. Next year if I get a card picture from the same people, I compare to see how much their kids have grown and so on! It is fun!
Crina

Anonymous said...

WHO CARES WE WANT PICTURES
WOULD IT KILL YOU TO POST ONE ONCE IN AWHILE...TEE HEE
NANA JO