Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fluke?

Gavin did last night what we thought he would never do. I put him in our room in his swing at 10:30 shortly after Ryan went to bed. Since I had a nap earlier in the day I stayed up and cleaned the kitchen and watched an Oprah show before going to bed shortly after midnight. At 7:30 I woke up feeling kind of refreshed which was an odd sensation so I propped myself up on my elbow and peered over Ryan to squint at his alarm clock. When it registered that Gavin didn't wake up all night long I quickly looked over at him to see if he was alive (most parents do that after their baby sleeps for a long stretch for the first time). He moved his head as if to say, "Hey, Mom."

I fell back asleep for another hour. It was great.

Little G got a bath before church since his diaper was not designed to collect waste for 10 hours. I need to figure out a better nighttime diaper system since we switched to cloth. A disposable diaper would have leaked after that long, too but the cloth diaper just leaked a lot more. There is a diaper called Bum Genius that you launder like normal cloth diapers but it is one size that will grow with the baby from infancy to toddler hood. You have to see it to believe it but a series of snaps allows you to make the diaper smaller or bigger depending on the baby. It has a terry cloth liner that is super absorbent but you have to wash the wrap and the inside liner every time it is used unlike the traditional cloth diaper system.

It is too good to be true. One Bum Genius diaper cost $17. $17 for one diaper! Sure you can use it over and over again but you will want to buy 30 or 60 depending on how frequently you do laundry. The traditional cloth diapers (the kind we were in as babies) are about $1 each plus the cost of the wrap (about $7). I bought 60 cloth diapers and 4 wraps.

Hm, this diaper talk can't be to exciting for the non-parents out there reading this. There are whole websites devoted to cloth diapers. I perused the sites when looking for the best kind of diaper for us. The Bum Genius, G Diaper, Fuzzi Bunz, blah, blah, blah. The choices are overwhelming.

I'm hiding right now. Well, Ryan knows where I am but I had to get away from the incessant crying today. Gavin slept 10 hours and was in a great mood until church let out. It was all downhill from there. I suspect he is going to have a tooth popping out soon. He has been biting me a lot lately. He bites hard. Owie! Last night he wouldn't quit biting so I closed my bra and told him the bar was closed. I almost hope it's a tooth; at least that would explain why he has been in such a foul mood the last couple of days. Even when he is sleeping he wears a perma-scowl. It's cute when he's asleep but man, once he wakes up its "wah, yah, yah, yah".

Time for me to leave hiding. It's been long enough that Ryan probably needs a break.

1 comment:

Matt and Crina said...

Whoo-Hooo!!! Baby slept throught the night!!!! That is big news! That deserves a celebration, for that, CHEERS!!!

We were to tired to cheer when she slept through the night, but we were very happy! I remember I poked her with the finger to see if she is still moving, the first time she slept for 4 hours back to back.

I vote: No Fluke. I hope he keeps this going, Mommy needs rest too! I hope you are fully mended.
Crina