Tuesday, February 05, 2008

World Peace Begins With Me

It's 11:38 pm. Gavin didn't sleep well last night therefore I did not sleep well last night. He took a short nap this morning and I also took a short nap this morning. He slept while I was at the library and at the department of vital statistics getting his birth certificate. He has nodded off a few times this evening but woke up each time I put him back in his swing to go to sleep.

Grr.

He's almost 4 months old and he still does not sleep through the night. I can count on one hand the number of times Gavin slept 6 hours at night since he was born. I can count on the other hand the number of times I have slept over 6 hours because Ryan was able to feed him stored breast milk at night. That totals 10 or less nights of decent sleep since freakin' October!

He won't sleep in his cradle, he won't sleep in his co-sleeper, and he won't sleep in his Pack 'n Play. He will sleep sometimes in his bouncy chair. He will sleep in his car seat if you swing him to sleep. He sleeps every night in his swing.

We are not letting him sleep in bed with us because the mattress is still too soft.

Our next move is to put the swing in our bedroom.

He is in his swing right now. Fussing. Sucking on his hands because he wants something to do. I read him books, I changed his diaper, I fed him. I fed him some more and to make certain I fed him again. The hair dryer is on, a sound that normally lulls him off to sleep. I have tried bouncing the swing by gently pushing the top of it as that adds a nice bit of motion that he craves so much.

NOTHING IS WORKING!!!

We are doing the Attachment Parenting - the kind where you feed on demand, hold the baby a lot, don't let it 'cry it out'. It is not easy. Not at all.

I have to go now. His fussiness is turning especially fussy and is going to turn ugly any minute.

If you pray one prayer today, let it be for me. Forget world peace. We all know it's not going to happen. We do know that Gavin will one day sleep through the night. Just pray that it will be sooner than later. This may seem like a selfish request but a well rested happy April is much better equipped to be nice to the rest of the world so really, a prayer for me is a prayer for the world.

1 comment:

Swell said...

Poor April! So sorry for your lack of sleep and Gavin's lack of desire to go to sleep. Hmmm..."Sleepless in Seattle", that should've been a movie about babies.

I prayed for you this morning, while waiting 30 minutes in front of work till someone came to open the store. It's raining REALLY hard, reminds me of the Northwest. You'd think the rain would help Gavin sleep...Maybe he'd like music or a warm bath? Anyways, I'm not here to give advice, since I have NO experience with babies (except for doing their eye exams), I just wanted to say I'm thinking/praying for you and I'm hoping for "April peace soon" :)

Did you decide about the pictures?