Thursday, May 08, 2008

Blogger, Interrupted

My last post was not saved properly so half of my post was lost. Nerdy.


I'm going to do my best to recreate the rest of my news flashes. Where did I leave off? Ah, yes. The shower.


So, there I was sort of standing in the shower, listing severely to the left when I saw my feet side by side for the first time since surgery. The left one was just hanging out, all white and bulging with it's smaller bunion. Then there was the right foot, still black and blue and tinted from the iodine prep, but it was much, much smaller than the left foot. It is a completely different shape. It is so weird to have the shape of your foot change; I knew it was going to change shape but it is something else to see an appendage morph like that.


I'm guessing that all of the shoes I gave away 2 months ago because they were too small would now fit . It is just as well since they were all high heels - something I could wear on a more frequent basis if my left foot wasn't developing a bunion. Stupid feet. They ruin fashion. Not that I'm a fashionista but it is nice to wear sexy heels every now and again.


It was at Ryan's office Christmas party that I last wore heels. I felt like a decrepit old woman as each step hurt more than the previous one. As much as I like the looks of them I won't buy more heels until after I have the left bunion taken care many, many, many years from now. This whole not walking thing sucks. Really. Although wheeling around in a wheelchair is fun - but only because I know it's temporary.


If you have a weak stomach regarding bugs you may not want to read this last bit.


Did you know it is tick season in the northwest? I do. Kea, my dear doggy, got one last weekend. Ryan took her to the vet on Monday to make sure there wasn't more we needed to do for her while we were home for my doctors appointment. When we got back to my MIL's house we saw a bulge on her head - another tick. Then the neighbor lady took Kea and her dog for a walk. More ticks glommed on under her collar.


My MIL held Kea on her dog bed while I pulled the blood suckers out with tweezers. It was so gross. The smallest ones that hadn't attached yet were like the tiniest spider you could imagine but the ones that we missed and were sucking away for a couple of days were ginormous - think the size of a pencil top eraser.


Ticks are nearly impossible to kill but I was still afraid of splatter if I squeezed too hard with the tweezers on the bigger ticks so I covered the bug with a tissue and just peeked while pulling. To kill them my sister-in-law who lives in the sticks and deals with ticks on her dogs said you have to nuke 'em in the microwave. Yep. My MIL put the big daddy tick in the microwave and after about 30 seconds or so we heard a loud *POP*. We simultaneously said, "Eeew!" then did the bug dance; you know, like someone just flicked a spider off you and you freak out with creepy crawly skin.

1 comment:

Swell said...

EWWW!!! That last part was yukky. I don't think I'd ever nuke it! Hopefully she covers it up so it doesn't spatter! I've always heard to burn them with a match.

Your poor feets... hope you continue to heal well.

Nicole