Monday, May 19, 2008

Installed

My father-in-law visited this weekend. He and Ryan spent the whole weekend installing doors in the basement and painting trim.

We've had the doors for quite some time but since they were not pre-hung it made installation a very daunting task. Since I am of no help in the Department of Handy - for many reasons (I measure twice, forget twice, measure two more times and still cut wrong; I have Gavin to watch after; and I whine...) Karl came to the rescue.

It is amazing what a door does to a space. In place of the gaping hole there is a door in the guest bedroom, the bathroom, the office and at the middle landing of the stairs on the way to the basement. Now, one can use the bathroom. The bathroom was operational before but now those who like a little privacy can use it without fear of someone in the alley walking by and peeking in. Our guests can get dressed in their room without fear of someone barging in unannounced (I did that to my other father-in-law but he was just taking his inhaler, whew)! Ryan can work in the office and not have to hear me banging around in the kitchen.

Yea for doors! Yea for father's-in-law who drive 3 hours to do hard labor all weekend only to go home and do more hard labor (he's building a house right now)!

No comments: