Friday, May 23, 2008

Goodbye, Celeste

I've been in a special relationship for about two years now that is coming to an end. This relationship is one I never thought I would have; I thought I wasn't 'that kind' of person. Growing up the thought of this kind of relationship struck me as odd and unnecessary; it wasn't until a few years ago that I could see how special a relationship of this nature could be.

The special relationship that I've succumbed to is that of hair stylist/client. It took 29 years but I finally found someone who knows me. She gets me - well, she 'gets' my hair. I suppose it didn't actually take 29 years to find a hair stylist. I was bald then had only a little hair for the first year of my life, then I just didn't care until after high school.

Who is this Hair Whisperer, you ask? Celeste Farrar is her name - at least for a little while longer at least. She is getting married, she may take her fiance's name, I don't know and moving to Montana. I am sad as are many of my girlfriends that I see every week (see previous post) because we all started going to her regularly after seeing what a fabulous job she did with all of our respective crowns of glory.

B.C. (before Celeste) I had no loyalties because no one gave me a reason to be loyal. Hair cuts were just hair cuts. If I wanted my hair styled I would pony up for a more expensive salon but no one ever got me to go back.

Side story: the first time I paid "big bucks" (I think I paid $25 which was a LOT out of my minimum wage job at Blimpie while I was attending college) was 1996. The salon was kitty corner to the Blimpie where I worked evenings and weekends and a couple of doors down from Albertson's at the new (now dilapidated) Fisher's Landing shopping center. It was with great excitement I entered the salon because I knew exactly what I wanted: the Jennifer Aniston (Rachel Green/"Friends") hair style.

That is exactly what I got. I left the salon looking like Jennifer Aniston and I did until I washed my hair the next day and one other time when I took the inordinate amount of time it took to style it the way the hair dresser did. It took me nearly two hours to style it to my liking. That's probably why I only styled it once. Who knew using a curling iron and 'product' was a learned skill?

I heard such great things about Celeste and I saw all the great work that she did with my friends that the first time I saw her I placed a great deal of faith in her talented hands and keen eyes. I gave her a general length I wanted my hair and told her to do whatever she thought would look best with my shape of face. She asked me a few questions then flew into action - but not before washing my hair and giving the best scalp and neck massage. What a great way to start a hair cut.

Now I have to start my search for a great stylist over. There is a salon just around the corner from my house that I'm going to try. I hope they are good because it would be so darn convenient to just walk over and get my hair cut. No driving across town, hoping there isn't a Mariner's game or bad traffic on I-5 or 99, hoping to find close parking, not having to walk past a Macrina Bakery to be tempted to go inside.

Farewell, Celeste, Montana is lucky to have you.

No comments: