Monday, May 12, 2008

Dude!

Gavin's nap is going to be over any minute now so I gotta make this quick.

I'm back home! Yippee! I miss the easy access and great care my MIL provided but it's so nice to be at home with Ryan and my stuff that I can't do anything with because I can't carry it around.

I left the power supply for the laptop at my MIL's house and therefore have to wait for Gavin to go to sleep before I can hobble down to the basement to get on the computer and check my e-mail. I'm getting pretty good at using the crutches.

Today I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, washed some pots and pans, cleaned the counter tops, pulled the laundry hampers from my bedroom to the living room and sorted the clothes for Ryan and... ah, I almost forgot the most challenging task of all: lunch. I made lunch. And by 'made' I mean heated up a sandwich in the microwave that I assembled at Dream Dinners before surgery that Ryan heated in the oven last night. The challenging part was getting me, my one good leg, two crutches, plate with sandwich and a can of soda teetering on top over to the couch. It was not easy. It was not fast. It was a little painful.

When I'm ready to walk again my left leg is going to be a rock while my right leg is going to be an atrophied, gelatinous leg shaped blob. I swear my right calf has already lost all of its muscle tone.

There is so much more house work to be done but my toes in my new and improved foot started to go numb so I figured that was as good a time as any to watch the boob tube.

I almost forgot the whole reason I started this "Dude!" post!

So, here I am checking my e-mail, minding my own business - I'm at home, not a lot of other people's business I can mind, right? Above me is a small daylight basement window in the office. I see a shadow pass over the minimal light that is coming in through the small window on this super gray day in Seattle in May. What do I see when I look up? The man who was putting the last installement of topsoil in our yard after the oil tank removal/contamination/clean-up/restoration that started back in AUGUST.

Hmm, I thought to myself. What is he doing in that corner of the yard by the old window frames that we've yet to take to the dump? In the corner where the tall fence and gate meet? The corner where no one can see him from ground level as he is hidden by the house, a gate and a fence? Ah, I see. He is peeing!

Dude!

We have toilets in our house! Two. Granted, only one of the toilets comes with the great amenity known as a door but he obviously doesn't care about that. (The doors in the basement are coming at the end of the month when my father-in-law comes out to help Ryan install them - and the trim. Woo-hoo!!! We are almost done)!

I really, really, really wanted to tap on the window. Really. But I didn't. Then I just hoped he wouldn't look down when he turned around and left. At least he peed facing away from the window.

My knee scooter is going to be delivered at 3:00 today, in 40 minutes. That means I should head up stairs so I can use the marvel known as a toilet in which I can empty my bladder before my new wheels arrive.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dinner, internet AND a show.

A little surgery can't keep you down.

apriljahns said...

Ha!