Sunday, May 18, 2008

Forward Progress!

Gavin and I were sitting on the floor yesterday playing with blocks. Well, I was sitting and watching Gavin play with his blocks. He really only plays with one, the blue round one. If one of the blue round ones isn't available he will not refuse the orange star or purple plus or green square - they all go readily in the mouth.


Little G finally toppled over or I put him on his tummy, I don't remember which. Either way, it led to crying. Profuse crying. Did you know it is very traumatic to be placed on your tummy? Gavin wails when he has his tummy time. He lifts his head and torso off the ground with his unbelievably cute chubby arms and looks at me, all the while screaming, as if to say, "But I thought you loved me? Why are you doing this to me?" His head looks HUGE when he lifts it up while on his belly. It is, of course, SO CUTE!


So, there he is, lying on the floor and crying, big fat tears streaming down his nose and plopping on the rug. There I am, mean mom that I am, trying to entice him with toys just out of his reach. Thus far he is able to pivot - he stays in place but goes in a circle and scoot backwards a bit. Oh, and he does the crawl but he doesn't crawl. His legs move like he wants to crawl but he doesn't put his feet underneath his body so he doesn't go anywhere.

Until... yesterday.


My attention had been diverted away at something else and when I looked back I saw he had his right leg bent and under his body. He pushed and went forward!

Forward progress!


Woo-hoo!


Unfortunately along with forward progress came a face plant.


That lead to more crying. I imagine he was very confused as to why I was mixing the sympathetic, "Oh, poor baby," with the excited, "Way to go Gavin!" and "Yea!"


I had my boot off to let my poor foot breath since it was 86 degrees in the house and the boot made a handy tool with which to let Ryan know to come upstairs. I pounded the boot on the floor several times until Ryan came upstairs so I could share the good news of the almost crawl.


We put little G back on his tummy but there was no more crawling... hmmm... it appears he is waking up. Not bad since it has been 4 hours since he went down the evening.


Yep. Four hours is a good thing these days. He has been waking up every 2-3 hours at night. The only thing that puts him back to sleep is a snack ala mom.


Dang it!!! His eyes are open (we have the video monitor - I'm not psychic)... *gasp*


HE FELL BACK ASLEEP!!!


I am really confused. There must be some interference because I hear some music coming across the monitor that kind of sounds like Tool or Nine Inch Nails. As much as I like me some Tool and NIN, I don't listen to KISW (local hard core rock station) and I don't have my alarm radio set to anything but static (white noise to put the G to sleep). Yep, it's KISW - the music is over. I should go turn it off but I'm afraid of disturbing Gavin.


It's Ryan's alarm clock. Mystery solved. Gavin is awake again. Hard core rock doesn't seem to soothe the baby. Go figure.


Mystery part II: why is Ryan's alarm clock set to KISW? He hates music that sounds angry. (His words, not mine).


Mystery part II solved: I seem to recall monkeying with the radio on his alarm. I thought I put it back on his station, though.


Oops.

No comments: